add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best external DAC option for gaming and music

Essex23

2 months ago

So I used to know a bit about audio back in the days of Sound Blaster's dominance...but that was many moons ago. Now I seem to know next to nothing.

I am running a 1070 Ti SLI rig, and I know if I go with an internal sound card like the EVGA Nu Audio, or anything else basically, I will get interference from the GPU's (from what I have read reported by other users). so now I am exploring external DAC's.

Most of the time I am having to listen to things through my earbuds while gaming (to keep wifeysauce from hearing it at night), and also for music during the day while I am working. Sometimes though I can unplug and let my speakers stretch and open them up. But for my applications, what external DAC's would be recommended for this type of use?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am putting together an older Haswell system from ebay parts, mixed in with some new hardware. This is kind of a sleeper project I guess as I'll be using a Compaq desktop case from around the 2004 era...that pc came originally with some kind of low end celeron 2ghz.

New build... Xeon X3-1245 v3 H81M-C/CSM board AMD RX570 8gb GPU 16gb DDR3 kit Noctua low profile cooler OS= Solus Linux or some other Linux

The GPU takes up darn near three spaces which I wasn't prepared for. For testing I put a quad port nic in the smaller pci-e port and it will mount but it's a very very close to the gpu.

My issue with sound that was unanticipated...there is no optical/toslink port on the motherboard...it's a no frills board apparently. So I'm looking at sound cards but concerned about clearance. I thought about getting one of those pci-e extenders but I don't think that's going to fly in my case as the only other port would have a old pci slot...I think an extender would only work if there were a blank hole to mover over to...basically I would need a case with at least one more slot.

I am probably going to try to put a ASUS XONAR SE 5.1 in there and just deal with the tight clearance issue. Looks like there may be some external options but not real sure how they fly with Linux...the Xonoar supposedly is well supported.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube