add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ubuntu disk partitioning

tmarkus11

1 month ago

Hi everyone, here a new Linux user.

I have bought a new laptop (Asus 15 S512DA-BR097 - with AMD R5 3500U CPU, 8Gb DDR4 RAM and 256Gb SSD) and I have decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 in it, the computer comes with no SO. Since I am new to Linux and I don't know if I will want to change the distro in a future, I want to make the partition myself in order to have a boot, a swap and a home partitions (Ubuntu by itself does only generate swap and everything else is boot if I am not wrong, so changing distro would mean having to delete all my documents too, not only the distro).

My question is: which sizes should each partition be? I have been doing some research and there is no consensus, some people recommend at least 8Gb for boot, others at least 15Gb... The same happens with the swap, some recommend a third of the RAM, others twice the size of the RAM... So I had thought about using 25Gb for boot to avoid full disk problems, around 16 for swap (maybe too much, I doubt a lot) and the remaining space for home (around 200Gb), what do you think, am I loosing too much space on swap or boot? should I make them bigger instead?

Thank you very much to anyone answering :)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

If you're doing this to be able to switch distros, everything other than your own data files will go into the "boot" partition. I'd work it the other way, figure what you'll need for your data, take 16GB for swap (reasonable), and the rest will be boot. 25GB for boot is a bare minimum and I'd start at 50, I think; even that might get tight after a while.

If I were doing it, I'd make it two partitions, root and swap. If you change distros you'll want to back up /home anyway, and it might be easier to save/restore your /home than it will be to fool around with an artificially limited root partition -- especially given your smallish total space.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your answer, seeing it from that point of view, I guess I will follow your advice and make just two partitions: root and swap. Most of my data will be stored into an external drive anyway, so no need for that third partition. Again, thanks for your advice :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube