add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommendations For Windows Registry Cleaning/Maintenance Program

wcurtin1962

1 month ago

I had a taskhost.exe failure today. I looked into registry cleaning programs. I found one site giving a lot of good information. They had a link for a registry cleaner. I down loaded it and ran a free diagnostic. The info it was displaying looked good I checked the paywall and they wanted $50.00 a year. I decided to sleep on it. Few minutes later my Kaspersky security program put up a notice that it generates bogus stats to get you to buy it. What are the real effective Windows maintenance programs out there?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Did the taskhost.exe. fail once or is this an ongoing thing?

If it failed once, it's an error, don't worry about it unless you are having other problems.

If it is happening again and again, a fresh install of Windows in your best bet as there is likely an issue and it is not with your registry.

In the end you don't need to, nor is it advisable, to use some registry cleaner. At this point you really don't even need stand alone security software, Windows Defender does a very good job.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You probably don't need a registry cleaner. If you feel like using one, use Piriform's CCleaner.

More likely, if this happened once, it's a fluke. If it keeps happening, uninstall any junk you don't use, check for any Windows updates, and in a command line run sfc /scannow.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip I got Piriform's bundle, I was already using Speccy. Running the cleaner and defrag has helped Windows generally.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Taskhost.exe only once so far. My NVidia driver has crashed several times. My computer is a seven plus year old HP running Windows 7.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Once, don't worry about it. As for the NVidia driver crash, just make sure you are up to date on that driver.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I did a update (I think), the thing is I still can't open the settings. Also the card's fan control is not working. I replaced the OEM fan/heatsink when the fan quit starting up and had hooked the fans directly to the power supply. When I tried to hook them into the card fan control they never started up.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do you have G-Force experience installed? If so you may have to uninstall and re-install it.

As for the fans on the GPU, what card do you have?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube