add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HELP! $4,000-$5,000 Gaming/PC . https://pcpartpicker.com/user/yognying59/saved/7VbQqs I'm noob. Any advice??

yognying59

4 months ago

Looking for a top-end gaming pc. I have my a regular desktop for about 10 years now. I want to revamp everything.I want it to be able to last a next 10-20 years. Instead of being normal, I want to take it to the extreme, not that extreme. The extreme I'm showing you is the pc parts on this list. I have almost no idea what I'm doing. I'm just researching and YouTubing as I go. I also need to find a reputable company or someone to build the damn thing. Does anyone have referrals or recommendations around here?

I'm almost sure on 9900k CPU, and 32 gb ram, high amount of SSD (don't which brand or combination i should get, nvme, SATA 2.5-3." form factor, etc. iono) I really need to sit down and have a discussion with the knowledgable person on this ****. I'm not really on the graphics card, motherboard, the case, and storage+external storage or practically everything. I want a high-end CPU and motherboard, definitely got to finish out the top 3 with a good graphics card. I still need external storage, optical drives, and ideal case. I currently have a 27" 165hz 1440p Asus rog 279q, with an apple mage keyboard and Logitech m500 mouse. no accessories. Anyone provide me suggestions and recommendations on these things and accessories, etc.

PLEASE, I highly appreciate and respect all thoughts, advice, suggestions & recommendations.

Is everyone able to see this? https://pcpartpicker.com/user/yognying59/saved/7VbQqs

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I want it to be able to last a next 10-20 years.

Not going to happen. Maybe 5 years before you are wanting to upgrade something.

No need for 32GB of RAM for gaming.

No point in getting a SATA SSD with your budget and how "cheap" they are.

WD Black's have terrible value and make no sense to buy anymore really.

You don't need to spend ~$500 on a board, the VRM is far beyond overkill at this point and honestly you probably wouldn't use half the features it offers.

And get a case that isn't so dated and has tempered glass at your budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $488.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $189.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $279.95 @ Amazon
Memory Team T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $269.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $269.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate IronWolf NAS 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $271.90 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB SEA HAWK X Video Card $1249.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $162.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $225.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $3549.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-23 06:36 EDT-0400
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much first of all. im completely new. The reason i went with high rams and SSd is i heard how fast everything is or that it's the norm. honestly, too much youtube. and im not using it primarily for gaming. it's pretty much of everything. i had a feeling my list was a bit overkill. I'll like your list. I hope to apply this on my build. Thank you!!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are doing content creation or something then 32GB isn't a bad idea, especially at this budget.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

OH! thanks

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW. really damn.. im slow cant believe how things change all of sudden. Thanks ill take the latter approach. appreciate chu!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

just look over other answers regarding storage. looks like right. since nvme is superior. I like your style and pick for storage. Why did you decide to go with that brand storage for your 10 TB? In as far choosing my ram, I most definitely won't be using it up any time soon. Like my previous or old computer I'm using it right now. It has 16 GB RAM and 4tb. I just thought to improve upon next build x2 and get something fresh more modern even at the expense of me being fiscally irresponsible. I'm now in a more humbled state as a result of this forum. thanks

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

There are really only two options anymore, WD and Seagate are the largest manufacturers in the HDD business. Didn't pick by brand to be honest, its a 10TB with solid performance.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I seee..I didnt know that. thanks for bringing to my attention. Super helpful. You're AWESOME!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

hi again,

what gaming mouse/mouse would you go with?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What Headphones, speakers, and mouse do you use if any? Thanks

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M3cscq

Well here my whole build since I'm too lazy to paste the individual links. The Naga is a heavy mouse but I like it since I'm a palm gripper and the interchangeable side pieces are nice. The M40X's since they are fairly neutral in sound and are relatively cheap in terms of audiophile equipment. Speakers is something I don't have.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, firstly, thanks so much for your build!

What’s with the 4 individual fan on and on top of that another case fan? What’s the reason behind going with strafe keyboard rather than corsair k95 or a k70?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I like my airflow...Plus they go up to 3000RPM (only used for benchmarking due to obvious noise concerns), are water proof (doesn't really matter expect it makes cleaning them super easy), and at the time they were the only black Noctua fans. The CM fan replaces the front fan on my HSF.

Went with the Strafe since I had a blue switches before and I got a roommate so that wasn't going to work out and I wanted the MX silent switches which iirc are still only offered on that keyboard and there was a sale on it. Otherwise I would have probably gotten one of the keyboards you mentioned, or maybe something different idk.

Also I wanted to say since your budget is so large and the case does lend it to sell to it feel free to add some RGB(or non RGB) fans to the case.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello First i would replace your 4tb ssd (which is way overkill for gaming) with a faster, and slightly less storage (but if you are playing video games, I doubt that you'll fill it up) Samsung 960 evo:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vMMwrH/samsung-970-evo-20tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e2t0bw

Also for gaming, you would want a mechanical keyboard and a good mouse, I suggest my two personal favorites:

Corsair k95 RGB Platinum: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYtWGX/corsair-k95-rgb-platinum-wired-gaming-keyboard-ch-9127014-na

Steel Series Rival 600: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNPKHx/steelseries-rival-600-wired-optical-mouse-62446

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

i barely play any video games at the moment. I guess i decided on it because it's more SSD makes everything faster such as booting and RAM. I also because it's somewhat trendy. Thank you SO MUCH for your help. I appreciate all the suggestions!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

np :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

what headphones and speaker do you use if any? thx

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the corsair void pro as my headset, no speaker

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

(don't which brand or combination i should get, nvme, SATA 2.5-3." form factor, etc. iono)

It goes like this speed-wise:
SATA < SATA II < SATA III < NVME.

NVME uses PCIe lanes like your GPU uses. that is why it is so fast. There are several different configurations that motherboard manufacturers can opt for, but I believe all NVME is accomplished via a m.2 port. (Since it uses PCIe lanes, the first NVME drives were PCIe instead). m.2 ports can either be SATA or NVME, or both depending upon the motherboard. NVME m.2 SSD's are faster than SATA m.2 SSD's. At some point though, you are splitting hairs. They are both very very fast. The big speedup was the changeover from solid disks like the WD Black in your build to SSD's. Any SSD is orders of magnitude faster than the fastest HDD. (At random access, HDD's still have some benefit for sequential access. This is especially true of Raid 0 Arrays. Most access is going to be random though).

To finish this off, I recommend ANY SSD with a long warranty. In your price range you should benefit from buying the "best". Samsung is currently considered the "Best". For sure don't consider any SSD with less than a 5 year warranty.

good graphics card

If you are going to keep your monitor, anything over say a GTX 2080 is probably overkill. GPU matters the most for gaming though, so no reason not to get the best gaming card, which is currently the GTX 2080 TI.

I still need external storage

Get a NAS for sure. Then you can load it up with 6TB HDD's if you want. Pretty expensive world to play in though: https://www.newegg.com/Desktop-NAS/SubCategory/ID-124?Tid=161337

Mouse: Logitech makes the best mice IMO. The G502 is a nice. I have the G500s which I also like a lot.

KB: Anything with mechanical switches made by cherry will have you walking away from your current keyboard and never looking back. RGB? Sure, that is possible. I have the Corsair K95 RGB. I think it is overpriced for what it is. I think g.skill is doing great things in this department, at a reasonable price too! RGB options

I still need external storage, optical drives, and ideal case.

Oh god, why do you need optical? Why, oh why? Count on your hand the number of times in the past 5 years you have used optical. Now subtract any time it would have been better from a flash drive. Do you have any fingers up still? Maybe get an external drive just in case.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't I know nothing about computers, let alone building one. i just want a top build with no needs to upgrade parts any time soon. Thanks for your advice and thoughts. I need ed it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

now that i actually think about why do i even need it. i barely even use it.. dvds series movies i guess lol. thx i lll scratch that off

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just learning this now. I'm completely new and know nothing about pc components. Thank you so much for your input and feedback.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For a keyboard, would you find the Corsair k95 overkill as well?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Calen. Do you mind if I see your build list? That way, I can get an idea, etc. appreciated it

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I made all the appropriate changes to all the unnecessary things.

Do you include any optical driver or external storage to your built, or that's it?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I recently see others posting their builds here. They have like 3-4 cases followed by a indifferent case fan. Is that overkill or is there method to the madness? they mentioned sth. about they like the improved airflow? Why doesn't your build have multiple case fans or what does that entail? In additionally, I saved $500-$1000 when adopting your principles. Thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For storage, someone suggested 2x HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, and 10 TB NAS 3.5" 7,200RPM internal drive by seagate. Do you disagree there or overkill? What are your thoughts? What is the best GPU that is $1,150 or under? or even a little more? Suggestions&Rec., thoughts?

Thanks

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Calen, I have additional questions for you. Why won’t a gaming rig last 10 or what does that mean? Why does GPU last are only good for about 3-5 years and CPU only 6-8 years? What happens if we extend its use longer? What happens after that time for GPU and CPU? Why don’t or can’t they last?

Thank you so much. You're awesome.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube