add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choosing Type of Wifi interface

Xukeepa

2 months ago

Currently picking gaming PC parts, What is the best option to get Wifi on a PC should i choose a built in Wifi motherboard, USB interface or CPIe interface? Is the wifi on ASRock B450M/AC any good? How to do I choose( What are the differentiating factors) ?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel WiFi is considered an industry standard.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

the motherboard specs state: Supports high speed wireless connections up to 433Mbps. There are more factors involved though.... What is the dbi of the antennas (determining how strong of a signal is needed to send/receive and impacts distance, wall penetration etc.). Does it support MIMO (MB specs don't say but since we know a single stream is 433Mbps, then the answer is no it does not support MIMO) (4x4 MIMO is how you get cards below that show 1733 Mbps which is theoretical maximum and you will get something a bit less in reality)

You can get PCIe cards with varying bandwidth limits and MIMO capabilities.

A top rated card like the PCE-AC88 AC3100 4x4 802.11AC PCIe Adapter will get you 2100Mbps but will cost around $100. Note that you have to get through the advertising garbage as well. You do not actually connect and get 2100Mbps, they just like to show high numbers and so they combine both bands together. What you get is actually simultaneous Dual-band 5GHz 1733Mbps and 2.4GHz 300Mbps connections.

Cheap $30 ones can get you 1200Mbps for example with 802.11AC. That 1200Mbps is the 5Ghz and 2Ghz combined so you only are getting max 867Mbps on 5GHz.

Or you could go looking for the newer standard for WIFI and get a 802.11ax card. (assuming your router supports or you get one in near future) Ax for a $42 fenvi card will get you 1733Mbps on AC (backward compatible) and 2400 Mbps on AX. AX is still pretty new and options seem limited. Future cards should probably be better but if only using for AC right now the price isn't too bad.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What’s a good 30$ one? I only have 80down/10up anyways.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 AC1200 Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 PCIe/Mpcie Adapter is $35. This is a 2x2 mimo card, so will use 2 channels max even if you have a 4x4 mimo router etc. I listed this one just because it had the Bluetooth in it. I would use an Asus or Tp-Link card myself, and NOT get one of the slightly cheaper ones with brands you never heard of before.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on where you live in the US if your in the main part of your house not a addition that had to have a extra fuse panel installed then power line adapters will give you the best performance it's the best thing besides a direct cable.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833704165?item=N82E16833704165&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-network+-+powerline-_-N82E16833704165&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhLHJp-zd5AIVUNbACh0LRQNeEAYYBSABEgJNjvD_BwE

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube