add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing the Windows 10 Installation Media on a FAT32 Partition of a USB Drive

once_upon_a_goat

2 months ago

I have created a Windows installer before but it was on an 8GB USB drive so it suited it perfectly. I have a 32GB drive that I need to create a new installer on so I formatted a 8.5GB FAT32 Partition to install the Creation Media to and when I ran the installer it formatted the whole 30 available Gigs and installed the Creation Media to that.

Does anyone know how to get the creation media on a specific partition of a USB drive?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Search "Partitions" in the start menu and look for something like "create partitions". Select the USB driver and you should be able to allocate a specific size. But be careful. Make sure it is your USB. If you select the wrong drive you lose a lot of date.

That is the only method I know of.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I went to where you can create partitions in the control panel and selected the USB drive and made a partition for the Boot drive and the rest of the unallocated space after that I formatted for storage and when I ran the Windows Media Creation Tool and selected the partition it reformatted the whole USB Drive and installed it there.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh. Well that was my only guess. You may just need to use the entire USB. It may be the way that the Media Creation Tool works.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

AFAIK in order to do what you are asking you would need to burn an .iso to the partition yourself. The creation tool is a bit... simple.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube