add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Really in need of some help with my PC.

KurtCobain

4 months ago

So last night I was gaming and my pc had no issues. Before i went to bed my computer kept turning itself on after i had put it into sleep mode. This is normal for me since this always happens when there is an update.

I decided last night to flip the switch on the PSU to turn it off and no issues.

Today i try to boot it up and it wouldn't POST. I have done many things since then in a 3 hour span to try to fix this.

I have made sure all cables were plugged in properly, fans were running, and everythint was functioning as usual.

I cleared my CMOS, unplugged everything plugged it back in to ensure it was plugged in, I tried each stick of ram in each slot to see if it would boot on it's own with 1. I also did try using the on board graphics, but nothing would pop up.

I have no idea what is wrong. Working perfectly 8 hours beforehand and now it wont do anything.

2 things I noticed was that the EZ Debug light on my mobo for the CPU was on saying that the CPU isnt detected and failed and on the on button on my tower the flashing led on it is no longer flashing.

To add I have to hold the power button to turn it on and off and the restart button is completely useless.

Here is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mzyXsY

I really have no idea where to go from now. I think it is a possibility of these 3 culprits:

PSU, MOBO, CPU.

This guy on another forum seemed to have a lot of the same issues i was having, but we have two different builds so i dont know if the cause is different.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/135512305398929989/

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I have seen this before.

Turn the PSU power off again. Leave it for 20 seconds, then press and hold the power button on your case. This will bleed any capacitor that is still energized. (They can stay energized for years). After you have held the Power button for 10 seconds or so. Let it go, turn the power supply power back on, and it should either immediately boot, or you will have to hit the power button again.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try this once i get home today!

Any other helpful suggestions if this doesnt work at all?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well i tried it. Didn't do a thing

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

If it does turn out to be PSU you can always invoke the warranty with evga if its still good, get a replacement.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if I could. Build is over two years old

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Anybody have any idea as to whether it is a motherboard or PSU issue?

I find it highly unlikely that i fried my cpu

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It could also be your front panel wiring. Unplug all the front panel connectors from your moterboard and use the screwdriver method of turning it on (Use a flathead screwdriver to short across the power pins. Video instructions

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

On my mobo do you know which two pins i have to put the flathead on? I know the JBA1 is for clearing the CMOS so i am not sure if that it where i would do it.

Would i unplug everything minus power going to my cpu cooler and mobo?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I was just talking about the little section of wires that plug into your motherboard. Unplug that mess.

Your motherboard manual will tell you which pins to short. But basically, whichever pins you take the front panel power button off of should be the ones. (Assuming you wired it correctly initially). Looks like pins 6 and 8 are "power switch". The pins are numbered bottom top, left to right:

2 4 6 8 10
1 3 5 7 9

It will be labled JFP1 on the board itself.

If this doesn't work, paperclip test the PSU to be sure, but it will probably need to be replaced even if it passes. (Google PSU paperclip test for more info). You started off with a really good platform PSU though, so it would be rare if that is the issue. (Maybe it ate a power event and died, are you using a UPS, or at the very least a surge protector? If not, pick up a cheap Tripp Lite 8 Outlet Surge Protector on amazon for like $25. They have decent internal circuitry and will protect your whole setup (and die instead of your PSU hopefully). Bonus, it comes with light indicators which will tell you if your building is wired wrong.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well i did the thing with the power switch, nothin.

The geek squad at best buy did some tests on the PSU and they said it is providing power with no issues whatsoever.

I am beyond frustrated

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a different electrical outlet at your house. Preferably way different (not on the same string). I don't know how high a probability it is that works, but worth a shot.

Have you reseated the CPU?
Do you have a fan plugged into the CPU_FAN1 header? (Will not post without it).
I have heard of people having issues with an AIO pump being plugged in there.
Again, low probability. I am grasping at straws that could be the issue before you try a cheapo replacement processor.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Was the system off when you flipped switch on psu? I once had a similar issue to you. I was able to turn on my system I'd see things power on, but it would never have any display. So I though OK GPU bad I put it in a spare PC and it worked fine. So than I though OK motherboard is dead, I got a new one and turns out it wasn't the case. I finally went to micro center picked up a PSU and moment I used that new one my machine worked. So if you have a store like micro center or bestbuy near you pick up a PSU and if that doesn't resolve issue than simply return it. I was shocked myself it was a PSU problem since it was providing power. I hope you get it fixed. Good luck. I would for sure try PSU before motherboard, unless you order a new board from amazon or buy it at micro center. Newegg is so difficult to deal with.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well tonight i went to Best Buy to the geek squad section and spent over and hour talking to the guys there. The did some tests and determined that it was the mobo. Power was being provided perfectly.

Well i bought a new mobo tonight and redid everything and when i went to boot on.....

Same thing.

I am seriously just about to cry. I have never had something this screwed up happen and i was just gaming on it the night before with NO issues!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I honestly wouldn't trust them most their employees aren't knowledgeable and they send repairs that are major offsite. My dad once used them when I was away in different state. They told him he had a bad motherboard, and that was not the case it was just a bad ram stick. I would take your system apart completely, take mb and PSU out of the case. Put it on a box and only connect the power for the CPU and motherboard and try to boot. If this doesn't work I'd serisouly try a new PSU. My first build with a rosevill hive it literly gave power to my system but not the CPU because their was something wrong with it's power delivery. The moment I connected new unit it worked. Bestbuy gives 30 day return policy no question asked nothing to lose to try. Reason I recommend taking out system also to make sure you eliminate all other possibilities of issues. Good luck man sorry to hear you got a new board and it didn't work. Hope you can return it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

They seemed to be pretty knowledgeable when i was talking to them yesterday and it seemed they knew what they were talking about. Who knows i could be wrong.

When i breadboard the pc should i also have the cpu cooler on top aswell? What about the RAM? I have never breadboarded a system so sorry if this is a big noob question

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of them are for sure. I've met some that are way to knowledgeable to be working at bestbuy. Yes you'd want the cooler you'd not want CPU to overheat as for ram yes as well. Otherwise it won't post.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So should i buy a cheapo cheap stock cpu cooler since i think it wont be efficient hauling out my liquid cooler to test.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well everybody my game plan is to buy a new CPU. See what will happen. If it still doesnt POST then I dunno from there.

Apparently the Geek Squad doesnt offer CPU checks/inspections (person on the phone is a complete dud). But if they have a return policy for the CPU then it wouldnt hurt to try.

I spoke to MSI again today and it seems that the guy believes that it is the CPU aswell.

The guys at best buy at the geek squad section told me that they checked the PSU and they said that it is perfectly fine and working 100%.

They said that if it still doesnt work after already buying the new Mobo and trying the new cpu they would help me take a further look.

I will keep you guys posted and please if you have any more suggestions or idea i would great appreciate it, thank you

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

SOLVED

So i went to best buy tonight and bought a new cpu and that seems to have been the issue. Of course the component I ruled out to be the least likely to be the culprit, of course is the culprit. (Knowing my luck I am not surprised)

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who provided info, tips, advice, and guidance as it really helped me out make sound decisions and keep my sanity regarding the situation intact.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What makes you say that the PSU would be the culprit? Not trying to doubt you, i just want to have some understanding of what happened and how to prevent it in the future, this has been real frustratin on me.

I haven't done the reseating. I will do that tomorrow but i will have to buy some paste and some stuff to clean up the gunk.

I just tried clearing of the CMOS. Did it for 5 minutes and no success.

My plan tomorrow is to go and buy a PSU and the materials for the reseating. I will do the reseating first and then work from there. The local best buy doesnt have a lot of PSU's that I like so i hope the CPU just needs to be reseated

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube