add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

omgg..... you check this crazy pc out.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

OMG is right, just not OMG in a good way.

advertised as a "Gaming Desktop" paired with a "GTX 1050 (2GB GDDR5)"

Sure it has a locked 8th gen Intel i7 but 8GB of ram and that GPU I cannot think of a proper use of this PC that doesn't involve wasting a ton of money. Surly gaming on that PC the CPU is held back by such a low end GPU and any workstation use that can fully use the i7 is held back by 8GB of ram and would have no need for the GPU as the igpu would be fine. Also doesn't even have a SSD and a basic 1TB HDD. For argument's sake let me toss together a build with the exact same CPU the i7-8700. Normally in a 1k budget build I would look at a r5 or i5 and leave more budget for the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $309.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler $20.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $78.98 @ Newegg
Memory OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $53.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $94.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card $329.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case $54.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1003.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 17:55 EDT-0400
  • Same CPU
  • Air cooler for full boost clocks on CPU
  • traded 1TB HDD for 1TB NVMe SSD
  • 16gb (2x8 dual channel) of ram instead of 8 (1x8 single channel as listed in specs) also same speed as b360 chipset limited to 2666.
  • Motherboard has 4 ram slots instead of 2 for better ram upgrade options later on
  • Decent PSU
  • Huge upgrade on the GPU from a GTX 1050 2gb to a RTX 2060.

Still not my final pick for a ~1k budget but limiting myself to the same CPU as the prebuilt would result in this. Makes MUCH more sense for a gaming rig and will run circles in game FPS around the prebuilt. Again I would prioritize more cost to the GPU in a pure gaming build but still get an adequate CPU to pair with the GPU such as this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z7kGBb . The 2070 super is much better than the 2060.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

...no duh?

Companies don't make prebuilts with 0% profit margin to give the absolute fairest price to consumers at their own expense. Companies need to make money somehow to stay afloat :P

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I do expect there to be certain costs on prebuilts. First starting with the cost of parts if you calculate the retail value, aka the amounts the store would sell them at normally then tack on a build cost amount which would depend on the complexity of the build. Say you see a prebuilt for $1050 and see you can buy all the parts and built it yourself for $900 then the $1050 price would seem very reasonable to me for a prebuilt. The company does make a profit margin on what they charge for retail parts but paying someone to put it together does cost money too. $50-$200 built cost depending on build complexity isn't unreasonable at all.

Though if it is going to be my computer I would refuse to pay someone to put it together for me. I would rather put it together myself as imo building it yourself is part of the fun of getting a new PC! I wouldn't want someone to rob me from that! lol

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course, you need to make profit otherwise you would be selling for nothing. But 8GB of RAM in $1000??? WITH A 1050 2GB?? c'mon man

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean yeah, they do that. Nothing new.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I know that it’s all-round a pretty bad deal, but are they seriously only doing 8 GB of RAM for over $1000?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

How is crazy? Crazy bad?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

2.6225 times worse than my own $400 Dell Inspiron Gaming 5676 with a Ryzen 5 1400, 8gb of ram, rx 560, and 1tb hard drive bought in 2017 at micro center during the height of the GPU crisis.

And I thought what I did was bad.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

probably could get a GTX 1650 in if desired if wanting more.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, I think that's been out for a while, and there are better ROG prebuilts available...

Besides, why did you post it in, like, three sections of the forum?

• 8 months ago
  • -2 points

to get this pc some shame... lol

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

What is the point of that? To let BHPhoto know about it? To prevent others from buying it?

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 0 points

I don't shame on prebuilts. I shame on overpriced prebuilts. Get your facts right.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah yes, for when you want your gaming pc to get outperformed by the Xbox One X

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, crazy...

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s not crazy

• 8 months ago
  • -1 points

Maybe you're crazy, do you not see the prices?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What's crazy about it? It's yet another prebuilt that isn't particularly great for the price. This isn't something new, it's been this way for a long time

also... don't insult others. it's not a great way to make friends

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Killing has been going on for a long time, doesn't mean it's OK. And no I didn't insult him. Being crazy isn't an insult.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It kind if is. It's an irregularity generally seen as a detriment.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice case, bad price.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

8gb ram only? i guess price is elevated cuz of the fancy case.

i like the case though

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair BestTry (cough best buy cough) is still trying to sell FX-8320+1050TI gaming PCs for over $800 USD....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-gaming-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-120gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black/6134141.p?skuId=6134141

That is a MUCH worse PC than what the OP listed. The one OP listed could be salvaged with a new GPU and another stick of ram. Nothing can be done on an out of date and dead platform.

Would be nice to finally see Bestbuy stop selling old FX systems as gaming systems for much higher costs that far better performing prebuilts that they also sell. This prebuilt is a bit better optimised and will blow that FX system out of the water for less cost. I still stand on the side that I would rather build my own PC but some of these builds are pathetic. My conscience would not allow me to sell a bulldozer system to someone for that much.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Not outrage but I recall the good old days where BB was the THE place to get the best deals and coolest stuff. The Packard Bell I bought there forever ago was ahead of its time, I ran that system for so many years, ok the overdrive amd helped keep it going longer than it should have lol. So its pretty sad when a computer store like BB is selling something like that, or are they selling it for someone else(?) as is the typical thing to do these days for retailers. I was surprised to see FX systems still sold early this year while shopping for my build, though they were the cheapest gaming prebuilds usually, and some gamers were still running them OC'd on some newer games. I guess really I blew around that much on a 2400G system, but its all set for cpu/gpu upgrades any time I want other than the 450psu I had laying around. It is the way I want, running on a M.2, 5.1 sound is great, case will fit anything. Not the best bang for buck but very upgradeable. My biggest complaint with prebuilds was using old MB and cpu you could not upgrade, or causing difficult upgrades. Maybe I'm lazy but sticking a cpu/gpu in is the easiest thing and future price will only go down.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe, but you didn't have the huge internet either. For the places you could buy PCs and parts BB was a big one. And they marked stuff down my PB back then (on a big sale) was a steal compared to anywhere else I could find. I think that was a 486DX2 lol. Later a 586-66. With a vesa bus even, but all fun aside it was great stuff at the time. Though I have to say last spring they had x370 MB for a few dollars less than x470, while not a big difference still much newer and I was surprised anyone would buy an old board for few dollars off. So, nobody seems interested in clearing old stock from what I saw.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube