add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Verizon Fios and Linksys Modem

Benji8

2 months ago

I switched to Verizon Fios (from Cox) about four months ago. I was trying to log into my Linksys - AC5400 Tri-Band WiFi 5 Router. The Fios tech said i need to use the Fios router no matter what since i was also getting Fios TV. Something about not getting the tv guide without it. Normally, I access the router by typing http://192.168.1.1/ but this now takes me to the Fios router vice the Linksys. I tried to go wireless using the Linksys router but that also just too be to the Fios router page. Wireless in my house is only through the Linksys attached via a Ethernet cord to the Fios box. The rest of the house is wired from the Fios box to a Netgear gigabit switch. I tried unplugging the Fios box but that does not work. Reason why i want to access the Linksys router is because this weekend i plan on installing a range extender. Any suggestions?

I did not have this issue with Cox because i did not have to have their router in my home.
Thanks

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You mention the FIOS box, are you talking about the verizon-supplied router (do they still do Actiontec?), or the ONT (optical network terminal)?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

1) unplug your pc and linksys from your fios box. 2) plug your pc into the linksys with an ether net cable 3) go to your 192.168.1.1 on that pc and it will be the linksys since the fios is not connected. 4) change your linksys IP address to 192.168.1.2 so they won't conflict in future 5) disable the router in the linksys settings since you are using the fios box for the router. 6) do any other settings you want. 7) plug it back the way it was originally. Now if you want to get to the linksys router you just have to put in 192.168.1.2 for the linksys, and 192.168.1.1 for the fios. 8) almost forgot, go into the fios box settings and have it start the ip range at 192.168.1.3 (or just use 192.168.1.10 for extra in future) so that it won't assign the 192.168.1.2 that your linksys needs to another device.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube