add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Windows 10 from one PC to another

Synthburst

2 months ago

I have a Windows 10 laptop that I am planning to sell and use the money to another one. The part list is right here. Is there anything I have to do in order to not buy a whole new Windows Product Key?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Did Windows 10 come on the laptop when you bought it (almost certainly OEM)? If you did buy your own license was it an OEM license? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then you probably have an OEM license and those are tied to the machine and cannot be transferred.

If you want a license that can follow you around from machine to machine you need to buy a full retail license, which is typically $149 USD. The temptation might be to by another OEM license since it's typically ~$99. However I've been using the same full retail Windows license since 2009 across three different PC's and it's a lot cheaper than 3x OEM licenses, $149 < $297.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Aww shoot. Windows came with the machine when I bought it. However, aren't there commands like slmgr /upk that can remove the key from the product? Would that make it transferable?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Would that make it transferable?

No. The key identifies the license type, IE it's an OEM key. The license is tied to the machine, when the license is activated MS knows enough about the machine to know if the license moves to a new machine and whether that's appropriate or not. There's probably not command line commands that are going to reach out to MS'es servers and erase all knowledge of your current use of the OEM license on the laptop.

The caveat being I just understand the license and I'm at a point in my life where dropping $149 on Windows is nothing, so it's not like I have any need to keep up on piracy or circumventing the licensing rules or otherwise jump through hoops to avoid dropping $149 once a decade or so. So feel free to google around and try jumping through whatever hoops you want if my answer doesn't satisfy you. Maybe you find a way around the license, or maybe you spend a lot of time trying stuff other people claim got the result they wanted. If none of it works, maybe they're wrong, or that loophole was closed, or they left out some details, or they're morons or fibbers. If all that is a suitable use of your time, cheers, have fun.

But you always have the option to buy a proper transferable license and be able to use it for years and years across multiple machines when you get sick hoop jumping.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I am a fourteen-year-old who doesn't have the money deposits of an adult, so I'll probably try to jump through every loophole possible.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, nothing against you. It's a right of passage anyway. I mean when you're young, and broke and got nothing better to do. Might as well see what you can do. When you get old and time equals money and you have start to have some appreciation of what your time is worth. Maybe it makes more sense to pay for stuff.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense. Thanks again!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

About the laptop: As GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin said, it's OEM, so sorry.

About the new part list: Wait, you don't want to OC the Ryzen 3 or sth? Because it'll bottleneck your 1070Ti.

(Also, you have an unidentified case too?)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, yes. I don't know if this is how it works, but I was able to get the product key and untie it from my laptop from the command prompt. And OC'ing the Ryzen 3 will definitely be an upgrade, because I am seeing how it holds up, and will use money from jobs, etc. to pay for coolers to OC, or maybe I could save up for a Ryzen 5 3600. Who knows? Finally, I have access to massive 3D printers at my school, and will be printing my own case to save some money.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

printing my own case

Damn, you're hardcore.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. I am curious about your product key wrangling.

Finally, I have access to massive 3D printers at my school, and will be printing my own case to save some money.

Well, I somehow imagine that students printing PC cases for free isn't the intended use... but at the same time what do I know? When I was 14 my freshman computer class was still teaching Lotus 1-2-3 on DOS and it would be another four years before I had my own PC. And I'd argue it's probably a better use of my tax dollars than say more football equipment or some such that I care less about. You should post some jpg's of the case when you're done.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I will most certainly post some pictures. My school has yet to download the design software on computers as of now, which seems a major oversight on their plans. What do you mean you are interested in my product key wrangling.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I was/am pretty certain you can't throw command line commands at your local machine and free up the license that's not transferable and have MS'es system not recognize that the key is already in use on specific hardware and is subject to OEM restrictions. And yet you claimed to have done that, have you already re-used the license on a new machine. Or do you just assume your actions will have enabled that when the time comes?

Or I'm just mistaken/there's a little more nuance to the licensing situation.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have not used the license yet. I am sorry if I made it seem that way. I am hoping my best that it will work.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Update 9.19.19: I was able to go to Microsoft's official website and find a tool that allows me to create a bootable flash drive. Apparently, when you already own a copy of windows, you can create a USB flash drive with the ISO file that can be booted from in case your computer needs to be reset. However, the file is also able to be used for building a new PC (at least I hope), so fingers crossed!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yes, Microsoft gives everyone the free software for Windows 10 now, but it is not a licensed version. When you install it, it will be in trial mode until you enter your information and register it.

A question, if you intend to sell the laptop to get the money for your new hardware, how do you expect to be re-using the windows license? Won't you need to have windows running on the laptop to be able to sell it? And in that scenario, even if you do get it running, it won't run on both at the same time and whoever you sold the laptop to will be coming back to you with some big complaints when their windows deactivates.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube