add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No display at all before Windows

Caldor
  • 5 months ago

I have a strange issue with my new system. I used the same GPU in my other computer, an ASUS RTX 2080Ti Turbo. It is connected to monitors, two with HDMI and one with DP. Its a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING motherboard. The CPU is the 3700X.

I moved the disk from my old system to the new system and just updated the drivers and such. But seems like if it did not have any OS the screen would just never turn on. The disk has Ubuntu installed and with Windows 10 as the default boot. If i try to press DEL or the arrow keys during boot it will just never use any of the displays.

I think updating the bios could be a good idea... but not sure how I would do that without access to the bios. Well, without being able to see the bios. I cannot seem to find any examples of others having this problem. Its usually that they can see the bios but not get into Windows or that the screen wont turn on at all.

I have not tried doing a CMOS reset, I guess that might help. Anyone has any suggestions? I have been thinking about trying to run some DOS games on it, see if its a problem to go to those resolutions overall. But DOSBox f.ex. often use windowed fullscreen I think so its not actually making the monitor display 320x240 or something like that. But I should be able to find something that would force it to use some low resolution.

Solved: I finally got this working. I contacted ASUS support, but that was no help. They suggested I tried to reset CMOS and told me there was no software to check my current bios version to see if I had succeeded at updating my bios.

I googled some more and found that there should be an EZUpdate utility since my motherboard has some Asus EZ features. Its part of ASUS AI suite III but for some reason this software does not show up as software for my motherboard, so I had to select the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE motherboard on the ASUS Support site and here I could download that software.

Which is fully working. Shows me my bios version was 0807 and I then used it to update my bios and now I can see my bios boot, Ubuntu boot screen and everything :)

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What processor do you have?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, right. Its the 3700X. I updated the post.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly happens when you try to boot? ex. does it not respond at all? Does it respond with a blank screen? Does your motherboard act differently light-wise? do some case fans work while others don't?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything works... except it does not turn on any displays before Windows has begun logging on. No loading icon, no Bios text no Bios splash, no Ubuntu boot menu. But then the screen comes on and its logging into Windows 10.

I am pretty sure its all still there. Reacting to whatever I might do with the keyboard. Pretty much confirmed by the fact that if I do click DEL or the arrow keys during boot, which should either load BIOS or stop the Ubuntu boot menu from timing out and loading Windows, the screen does not turn on at all... probably because it just stays in bios or on the Ubuntu boot menu.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Try all the displayports and hdmi ports. You might just have a faulty port

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything is being used on the GPU as it is. I have 3 monitors and a VR headset. 2 DP ports, an HDMI port and a USB-C VirtualLink port.

But none of them seem to register. I think I will have to just go the trial an error route. Reset CMOS, maybe try to see what happens if I try to run lower resolutions in full screen mode and such. I really hope resetting CMOS will work.

Oh and I might have luck installing motherboard drivers and maybe there is a way to update the bios without rebooting to BIOS.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I found a way to update the bios without booting into the bios. Its possible to put the update on a USB stick and use a special bios USB port, power off the computer and click a bios update button.

That seemed to work, but still no luck. So I am now trying to contact ASUS support.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems to me that it could be a fast boot issue. This is a feature of most BIOS. IDK if a CMOS reset would help. Other than that it is probably a bootloader issue. What are you using? Grub? Try spamming the del or F2 buttons from the moment you turn on power.

If not that then:
Check your Motherboard manual. 1.1.6 tells you the blink code on the QLED problem light. Watch it during boot to see if it is detecting and "fixing" a problem or some such.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I finally got this working. I contacted ASUS support, but that was no help. They suggested I tried to reset CMOS and told me there was no software to check my current bios version to see if I had succeeded at updating my bios.

I googled some more and found that there should be an EZUpdate utility since my motherboard has some Asus EZ features. Its part of ASUS AI suite III but for some reason this software does not show up as software for my motherboard, so I had to select the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE motherboard on the ASUS Support site and here I could download that software.

Which is fully working. Shows me my bios version was 0807 and I then used it to update my bios and now I can see my bios boot, Ubuntu boot screen and everything :)

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure why you think I only tested with 3 monitors, but that is what it has connected now. There are no conflicts shown anywhere. But no matter what boot its using, nothing is shown before Windows itself boots. No BIOS splash, no bios text, no specs, no RAM information, no GPU information... nothing. Not even the Windows loading screen.

It just has inactive no-signal screens and then it shows Windows logging in. Even if I booted without any disks at all it should be showing something before getting into Windows. I can click DEL during boot and it seems to go into the bios... I suspect... as it just stops booting. I also suspect that if I click the right key combination I will be booting Linux.

I do not personally expect resetting CMOS will help either. But I have been reading the motherboard manual and there is actually a way to update the bios / motherboard without having to go into the bios or Windows. I just have to use a certain USB port and press a bios update button and if a bios update with a certain name is found on the USB it should update.

So I will be trying this. Just do not see why a new motherboard like this is unable to detect an RTX 2080Ti. I have never experienced a bios that failed to detect the GPU... especially while the OS can detect and use it.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube