add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
markwill

2 months ago

This isn't intended to open a huge debate, but merely to get some sense of where things stand. I have always run on Windows on Intel, without any significant issues. My next build will be on AMD (3700x / x570).

I have read a few comments (not on these forums) about Windows being less stable/reliable on AMD, but I suspect it is not a huge issue in the big scheme of things.

Yes, I know there are problems with any platform, here and there. But I am not interested in one-off "I had a problem with x on AMD" statements.

I am also aware of a recent issue on AMD upgrading to the May edition of Windows 10.

I'm not concerned about such issues. Rather, I'm looking to get an OVERALL sense of concerns, if any, of how Windows runs on AMD.

Is there a long term, persistent history of issues with Windows on AMD of which I should be aware, before I go down this path?

PS: I will be running Docker, so not sure if there are any issues related to virtualization.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

There's going to be little to no difference at all between the two

Those comments you read are likely just people trying to trash on AMD.

Now if there is a driver error or something between AMD and windows, then that's something that'll be fixed relatively quickly.

I've used both platforms for years now, and never noticed any difference

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks and, yes, that's my sense too. Since it's something of a new path for me I thought I'd check here, but your comment is right in line with what I'd expect. Thanks again.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You're very welcome

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I have read a few comments (not on these forums) about Windows being less stable/reliable on AMD, but I suspect it is not a huge issue in the big scheme of things.

AMD rolled out first and third generation without proper testing and validation so stability depends on what BIOS revision and software is being used.

Windows isn't at fault in this case and the issues are fixed over time in most cases.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube