add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC or start upgrading?

JarJarJamal
  • 7 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y6ZHvn

i7-4790k h100i ddr3 4x4 1866 r9 390x->2060 zotac amp evga 650 p2 evo 850 250g seagate 1tb nzxt h440

i cant seem to get good fps on games on 1440p with my 2060, scum, unturned, etc. as far as i know all games ive tried have been booty when it comes to fps where other cards that are lower end far surpass mine. possible bottlenecking? should i just make a whole new pc and dump my 2060 into the new one and see what happens before going out and buying a new gpu?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4790K should be more than enough for those titles, are you sure that it's not related to something else? (drivers, programs running in the background, etc)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/2384vs3955

That now 5-gen old 4790k is also similar performance-wise to a 2600.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't link userbenchmark for intel vs AMD tests any more after this little gold nugget:

Those are very different processors and for tasks that can use the extra cores in the 2600 it can downright smash the old 4790k. Would be better to see benchmarks on the uses the CPUs are going to be doing to see the difference. Sure the 4790k is still a decent CPU today and games that only need fewer cores will not really get much benefit from a CPU upgrade. Other newer games that can use more cores/threads will still play on a 4790k but a newer higher core count CPU will be able to pull out ahead on. This is why the 4790k is not equal in performance to the 2600 overall.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Willing to bet its driver issues. I have same CPU. A few games ran 'bad' when I upgraded to RTX2080Ti. I also used MSi afterburner instead of X1. I suggest re-installing drivers at clean slate. Hope this helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube