add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Downloading games

13jonesb

3 months ago

I've got a great internet connection. About 200 mbps. I should have no issues with internet connection. No one else is using the network when i try to download steam games. Should be no issues. I've reset the download cache, no change. it occasionally peaks, but most of the time it is on no bytes/s. the peak was about 17mb/s. I've got a solid ethernet connection too.

wtf is wrong here??? i can't download anything. why??? any help really appreciated.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You mean 200mb/s and 17MB/s which is 136mb/s. Seems within the ball park and steam doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It was mostly showing in kilobytes in terms of current download speed. The highest current download speed I hit was 17mbps. This isn't natural. It was quoting me over a day to download payday 2

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a different ethernet cable. It could be a bad ethernet port; you could pick up an inexpensive ethernet-to-USB dongle and see if it works any better. (I have a salvaged Dell PC that had weird stalling problems which turned out to be a bad ethernet port.) If it's not one of those two, it could be your router, or cable from modem or ONT to the router.

Or, it could be that you aren't really getting 200 mbit/sec from your ISP.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

ok. i'll try that. thanks. even if i'm not getting 200mbps, i shouldn't be down to kb.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's feasible to plug the computer directly into the modem / ONT temporarily, using a different cable, you might start there; that will tell you right away whether the problem is in between the modem and computer. If it's still slow, across multiple web sites, it's either the ISP, the modem, or something weird in the computer that I've not run across.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

i'd like to, but that just isn't feasible. the game is now downloaded, but i might see if i can try this if it happens in the future.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube