add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wired Connection

ktran714

2 months ago

If I wanna use a wired connection instead of a wireless one how would I do it? Just plug in an ethernet cable to my PC then connect it to my modem or router? Would I also need to configure any kind of network settings along with that as well?

I have always used a wireless connection and I now know that a wired connection is best so that's why I ask. Also, I read a comment in one of the forum post here in this section that a router isn't really needed. Is this true?

Thanks.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

you could plug into back of pc, and go directly to your modem, yes.

Routers usually offer security in the form of a hardware firewall.

Just depends on router specs.

So to do the plug directly into modem. turn on modem and wait for all the modem lights to sync up. plug cable to back of PC, then boot up your pc and wait for the modem to sync with pc

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. So routers have nothing to do with internet speed? Also, is it ok to replace the ethernet cable that comes with the router and modem with a CAT6 ethernet cable?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

cat5 or cat6 will work from PC to Modem, yes

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

What about from modem to router?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You can operate without a router if you only have a single device. If you have multiple devices you'll need some kind of routing capability. A router is likely to be faster than your WAN side internet connection, so unless you have unusual requirements or a real dog of a router, it's not going to slow things down materially.

You can use CAT6 if you like. There's no special benefit to doing so, unless you plan on long runs or speeds over 1Gbit.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. So would I plug my PC into the modem or router?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Into the router, the router WAN port into the modem.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. Would I also need to configure any kind of network settings as well? Anything for extra security purposes and things like that?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That's going to depend entirely on the router. I can't think of anything special or different you'll need on the computer end.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube