add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would it be worth selling my MSI Gaming X 1080ti and getting a 2080 to take advanatge of dlss and ray-tracing?

MrCamoman64
  • 7 months ago

On ebay ive found that the 2080 is going for around the same prices as my 1080ti and Im just wondering if it would even be worth the effort and hassle or if I should just wait or buy a 2080 super instead.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

No, those are the two why you shouldn't get a RTX card. Ray tracing is a gimmick since only a literal handful of games support it and using it causes a major hit in FPS. By the time support is wide spread the 2080 is going to be a low end card, not to mention having significantly better cards out. DLSS is worse than AMD's RIS in terms of quality and it has to be supported by the game developers where as RIS doesn't. If you want DLSS get a RX 5700 XT instead and use RIS although I couldn't recommend what is essentially a sidegrade for just RIS/DSLSS.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wellp... 2080Ti it is then!!!

lol jk I love my 1080ti and I got it for a killer black Friday deal, but I agree with you to some extent. For me personally the few games that do support Ray tracing are games I frequent or have been longing to play (Ive owned Metro Exodus since launch but I refuse to play it until I can run it at max settings with Ray Tracing at 1440p lolol) and so while dropping two bills on top of what I would be able to sell my 1080ti for, as well as the fact that know its gonna be 25-50% cheaper in less than a year, has lead me to decide upon waiting to upgrade until its either cheaper, or I win the lottery ;)

Now if you can help me decide whether or not its worth getting an i7-9700k or an i5-9600k to pair with my 1080ti (and future GPU upgrade from the weakest line of "Performance Improvement" cards ever released) then that would be awesome too. The 100-150$ price difference between the two is not too shabby imo but would the i5 architecture bottleneck or hinder me in any way considering I have a fairly high end setup? Im currently running a i7-6700k OC'd to 4.2ghz (cause I lost in the silicone lottery BIG TIME cause I cant get it any higher on air with a 212 EVO) as well as 16gb of G.Skill 3200mhz DDR4 ram, and now a days Ive noticed that my memory usage is always running fairly high (30% idle 75-100% under load) and even after a couple fresh installs of windows Ive still been unable to squeeze much more performance out of it. (XMP enabled with the sticks both running at the full 3200mhz) I mostly want to upgrade for the ram because I like to have 50-100 tabs open in a browser sometimes but ya know, with two 27" 1440p monitors its kinda hard not too haha. Now the 6700k has done me pretty well the last couple years, but I really just wanna (A. Get a new chip that I can actually maybe OC past what it should be Turbo boosting too and (B. Have the 8 cores the 9700k provides Ideally, or if its the smarter choice then the 6 cores that the 9600k is packing. All that in addition to getting 32gb of new sticks of ram (anywhere from 3000mhz and on, I know the speed doesnt matter that much so getting 4000+mhz sticks just seems like a waste of money). I think that doing the whole cpu/ram/mobo upgrade is a much smarter choice than even thinking about a GPU upgrade, but my problem is I am at a loss for what motherboard to get. I dont wanna spend more than 175 on one really but I also want to actually be able to overclock to 4.4-4.6 (On Air) and not have to deal with multiple boards arriving DOA or dying on me just days or weeks into a new build (Thanks ASUS....)

SO

I know thats a lot to ask but basically I wanna know your recommendation between the i5/i7 and if Id benefit going with the i7 considering I do heavy gaming as well as some program and application development too. And finally which motherboard I should pair it with that will accept 2x 16gb sticks of ram and has decent power phases for OC'ing.

I feel like everywhere I search I just find motherboards with only Mixed reviews, and no clear cut winner when it comes to a mid tier price option. (You would think these companies would have figured out how to make a competent piece of hardware these days... maybe its just planned obsolesce but hey that's a whole 'nother conversation that Im not gonna get into lol)

Anyways, any effort put into a response would be incredibly appreciated :)

Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube