add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would like to try Lubuntu 18.04 LTS on MacBook Air 7,2, no live USB drives show up in boot menu

oIiver

3 months ago

I'm aware of some problems that later Apple machines have booting Linux, and have created install USBs using Popsicle, Balena Etcher, and the "dd" command in Terminal, none of which have created a bootable drive.

I'm aware of "Mac Linux USB Loader", but I'm not sure if it would work in my use scenario and definitely don't want to pay for it if it doesn't work. There are source versions I can build from the guy's GitHub page for free, but I don't know how to compile source code.

Help would be appreciated. If more information is needed, please ask.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

For the "Mac Linux USB Loader,"

The README provides easy enough instructions; you need Xcode and Cocoapods.
I'm not too familiar with Apple development but it says it requires code signing for all features, and I assume you're not an Apple developer so I don't think those features will work.

Overall it seems that unless you use that utility, it can be a complex and painful process to get this going

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube