add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using an PCIe to override an integrated wifi on my MOBO?

davidupatterson

3 months ago

Hey all,

I'm putting together a new build and am deciding on which MOBO to buy.

One quick question: In the event that I get a board that doesn't support wifi 6, could I later buy a PCIe that does and override the integrated wifi, or is that not possible?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > Networking".

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Didn't realize there was a networking sub-forum.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Hardware-wise, it ought to work fine. Windows ought to be able to figure it out - it would simply be another network interface in the system.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Download/read the mobo manual that you are considering.
Check to see if option to disable onboard WiFi is available in the BIOS.
If option is available, you know you're safe to use a discrete WiFi card.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube