add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wired mouse vs. wireless mouse

ktran714

4 months ago

So I've read that a wireless mouse is slower than a wired mouse because wireless mice needs to transmit information wirelessly. What I want to know is if I use the USB cable that comes with the wireless mouse will it have the same performance as a wired mouse or will it still be slower? Thanks.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Just from reasoning it out in my head, I would assume it would be slower. The usb cable isn’t dedicated for performance but for charging.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you can imagine anything you want. But I think your imagination might be running wild assuming needs ro benefits to some sort of USB optimizing. And the way I "reason" it is USB 2.0 provides 480mb(60MB)/sec of bandwidth and how much do you figure a mouse uses? Let's say 1%, about 600KB, well that seems ridiculously high to me, even 0.1% 60KB is a bit high I feel like. And you imagine there's some need to further cripple that for the sake of improving power delivery? Or that otherwise interfering with data transmission can be used to improve power delivery? I mean in reality we're talking margins so slim that you might as well start fussing over how cable length impacts performance...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What I want to know is if I use the USB cable that comes with the wireless mouse will it have the same performance as a wired mouse or will it still be slower?

I don't think it would matter. We're talking mice, and even modern mice are only going to use a fraction of the bandwidth of USB 1.1. And there's nothing magical about a hardwired connection as compared to using the usb cable with a wireless device.

I mean you might as well start fussing over how the length of USB cable affects speed as well. At some point no matter how technically true something might be, it's false in practice.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube