add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Purchasing CPUS with Integraited graphics vs Graphics cards

Frogling707

3 months ago

So, I havent been on a computer since around 2012, looking into building a desktop but as im looking for stuff within my budget I see cpu with integrated graphics cards, I just was wondering if this is even the right place to ask but im just looking for a comprehensive answer as to what the differences, what would be better or if I could buy a proccessor with integraited graphics then later get a card and even benefit from having both

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

If you are simply doing web browsing or light productivity/office work, you'll be fine using integrated graphics.

If you want to play modern games or do more demanding graphics work, you'll want a discrete GPU, as they require more processing power than integrated graphics can typically handle.

If you're on a budget and can't afford a GPU at the moment, a CPU with integrated graphics will at least let you use the computer for common tasks and drive a monitor or monitors until you can install a discrete GPU.

However, there is no real benefit to having both - if you're using a discrete graphics card, the integrated GPU is essentially disabled.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have any intensive backround with computer hardware and im just trying to figure out what im buying because YEah...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

what are your goal uses for this desktop? If general web browsing light office use then integrated graphics are just fine.

if you're building this to play games on it then you have to be on a VERY tight budget to only use integrated graphics. Otherwise you'll be using some sort of cheap graphics card which would still out perform integrated graphics pretty easily.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

keep in mind a GT 1030 or worse will be near/outperformed by VEGA 8/11 integrated graphics

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind integrated graphics (IGPU) on Intel and AMD are different. Intel IGPU is good enough for basic computer use such as web, word processing, watching videos, etc. It is not good enough to play any modern games that require any sort of GPU power. AMD IGPU in the 2200g and 2400g are powerful enough to run some light gaming at lower settings without needing a discrete video card (GPU).

If you are going to be gaming and plan to get a GPU then the only couple possible uses I can think of having an IGPU is an emergency backup in case the GPU dies or some programs like OBS can use the igpu to process the livestream. Though with the number if cores you can get these days that is not really something people do any more as it was more popular before the Intel 8th gens were released.

How much CPU you need will also depend on what you plan on using your PC for too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube