add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fixing network issues

IKnowNothing.

3 months ago

Hey guys! Hope y’all have an amazing Monday and could possibly help me out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/N6gzK8/gigabyte-z390-aorus-pro-wifi-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-pro-wifi

I just got this motherboard and the WiFi works great via wireless. The only problem is sometimes when playing rainbow or fortnite I get a ping shot to like 80-300; for like 3 seconds. But my frames stay fine and I just move fine I just stream and would like to fix that.

My dad won’t set up the Ethernet cable from the router and he says no to the idea of xfinity coming out and installing Ethernet, so I was hoping is there another path to go to make the WiFi better?? I’m all ears thanks y’all!

Will answer any questions or info that’s related to this problem! Please help if you can I appreciate it

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

your board has 802.11 AC wireless. But what are you connecting to? is your router a 10 year old router that does not even support AC etc? Your connection will only be what the max is of each individual part.

Next, you could be getting interference since WIFI is available to anyone. Do you have an android phone? You can put apps on it that show you graphs of what wifi signals are operating in your area etc. Maybe your neighbor has a wifi router that is conflicting with you when he gets home and fires up his Netflix etc. If that is an issue you can see about manually moving your connection to a different channel that none of your neighbors are using etc.

Your xfinity comment is vague. Your dad won't get xfinity to install a cable for internet? Then what do you have now? I mean, you are using wifi to a router, but i'm assuming after that it plugs into your modem and to your provider somehow already? Or is your internet provider some kind of wireless as well? Or you live next to starbucks and are just using that or something without your own internet?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so no I don’t have a android phone and the router is I think a year old now? If even, and we have xfinity just everytime we connect the Ethernet; the home phone turns off and we can’t use it so he doesn’t want us using Ethernet and he doesn’t want to call xfinity out

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

what is the make/model of the xfinity router? Typically you have a few ports in it and just one goes to the voip phone, rest you use how you want. Or is it you are disconnecting the phone to plug the ethernet in? Plugging in an ethernet cable should not be doing anything to your voip phone...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The phones plugged in to the Ethernet and doesn’t connect when i plug it in something else, I don’t know the make or model if you tell me where to find it I can but I know it’s a newer one, more condensed and bulking sorta. It’s like a weird shape not rectangular like the old ones

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

there should be a label on the device itself that has a make and model number. Are you saying there is only one port on the back of the device and the phone plugs into it? What I'm trying to figure out is what device you have, what port the phone is plugged into, are there other empty ports you are trying to use that stops the phone working or if there is only the one port and you have to unplug the phone to use Ethernet etc. Is it even a router with multiple ports or just a modem with one port etc. etc?

It sounds from your response that there is only one port on the back of the device you have now and the phone is using it? Could be all you need is a cheap switch to go in between in that case, but it's all guesswork really without knowing what the device actually is and what is currently plugged where, what the capabilities of the device are etc.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll look up the model and everything for you, but I know the guy tried to come out here when we got this new modem or router and he said based on the wiring of the house we cant set up ethernet or something. I went to the router/modem and looked at the bottom but I couldn't find "make or model number"

All I can get is WPS pin, FCC ID, PN, SN, CM MAC, MTA MAC

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube