add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Speed vs Bandwidth

dwang040

3 months ago

So, if I'm not mistaken, speed is how fast information is relayed between you and a server and bandwidth is how much traffic can be relayed back and forth at the same time? Like a highway. Speed is like... Well car speed and bandwidth is how wide the road is.

But my question is are they correlated? Does Xfinity give you more bandwidth if you get a faster plan? Does a faster speed keep your bandwidth "open" more since information travels faster so there's less of a "pileup" of data waiting to be sent/ receives?

I'm mainly wondering since my apt has 30mbps internet and the next only available option is 300mbps. All 3 of us play games, store services (youtube, twitch, Netflix, etc), and browse the internet. But I've been wondering, even if all 3 of use did those things at the same time, shouldn't a 30mbps plan be good enough? Why did we experience less connection related issues (connection lag, disconnections, video buffering, etc) with the 300mbps plan? Just wondering if we should keep it/ it's really necessary.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

instead of speed say ping and then you've got the analogy going good. (speed is ambiguous)

when a company advertises a "speed" they mean bandwidth. (how much can come at once, not anything to do with ping)

30mpbs is plenty to play games on at the same time. however, youtube/netflix/etc tend to load as short bursts of medium to high bandwidth. this burst can cause short term lag and connection issues depending on the game and its timing sensitivity. I would have problems play rocket league while my roommate was just watching netflix and we were on a 100mbps connection. (yay for setting up QoS on the router which fixed the issue.) having higher bandwidth can help avoid data "pileups" so its quite possible that the faster service is helping out some.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, so speed and bandwidth are the same. We'll, whatever articles I've been reading regarding that are just incorrect xd.

Anyways, I tried setting up a QoS with Lede, however, my roommates reported worse pings in League? According to dsl reports speed test, the QoS was workijg properly since we had very low bufferbloat compared to before. Could I have done something wrong? I personally didn't notice any issues regarding lag when I using the internet, but then again, 300 is a pretty big number. That's a lot of devices needed to potentially lag it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube