add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
adeoluy2k

3 months ago

A bit of a loaded question

How do i check which drive is my boot drive

Is it possible to switch the boot drive from a hdd to ssd[ relating to the first question if the boot drive is my hdd]

I was finally able to find and letter name my ssd but before it can be used i was prompted to reformat it which i did not do because i'm not sure of the ssd is the boot drive[ which I imagine would be bad formatting the boot drive

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

How do i check which drive is my boot drive

Which drive has Windows on it? IE is the SSD the C: drive? Windows is typically installed on C:

Is it possible to switch the boot drive from a hdd to ssd[ relating to the first question if the boot drive is my hdd]

Sure, you can clone the HDD to the SSD, provided the SSD is large enough to accommodate (all) the data currently on the HDD (or partition). Otherwise you'd have to a clean install on the SSD. Which entails unplugging the HDD, installing Windows on the SSD, plugging the HDD back in, and making sure the SSD is higher than the HDD in boot priority.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

what do you mean by boot priority and does this have to do with the sata ports

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

In the BIOS you can set the order the PC looks for bootable devices. So normally your OS drive might be first. But if you had a different drive you wanted to boot into, or sya a USB drive you wanted to boot. You can set that to the first boot device so it will boot from that instead of your normal OS drive.

This should be in the motherboard manual too.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the time windows installs by default onto C. But if you go to File Explorer> This PC, then look at all your drives, the boot drive will have a little windows symbol in it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube