add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Network help please!

Nauthes

4 months ago

I’m not a networking expert by any means.

We are moving to a new house and I don’t want to get suckered into buying the internet companies expensive modem/router. Do I need to buy 2 separate things both a modem and a router?

Can someone help recommend a modem or router or both of I need that would be good for 100mbps up and down with 4 simultaneous gaming sessions.

I don’t really want to spend more than $100 but please help need internet at home soon.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

DSL?

Cable?

Microwave Broadband?

Fiber?

The type of device or devices you need, depends quite a lot on the service you're buying.

Some of these services may include a "modem"-only device from the provider that acts as a passive bridge. You can then connect this to the WAN port of a router of your choosing.

Other services, like cable and dsl, are typically a bundled "modem/router" device. Though the WAN side hasn't been a modem in many years, we still call it that for whatever reason. It's just a different interface standard that you need a transceiver for. Some of these services will require you either buy or rent their gear. Others will allow you to use alternatives. In the case of Cable internet, it's common for the "cable modem" to also be part of a cable TV package DVR/cable-box device...

In my experience with centurylink DSL, they will sell a DSL modem/router/wifi combo device supporting their high speed standard for less than I can buy a similar device for online new, so I just bought it from them for $100. Works well. I intend to disable the wifi and place the device in bridge mode to a pfsense router at some point for better control, VPN, etc, but for now, this is fine.

YMMV.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For me my parents got a free modem when they switched internet providers. So all u really need to spend on is the router if that's the case, the netgear xr300 is a pretty good router but comes swinging at $170. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Ethernet-Wireless-Optimized/dp/B07PGZH7Q4

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube