add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does anybody actually work with audio here?

shreduhsoreus
  • 7 months ago

Production, mixing, mastering.

Does anybody here do anything related to actual pro audio?

If so, what are your specs, what DAW do you run, what are your buffer settings, if you use plugins, what plugins do you typically use, how many instances, how many VI's, do you have to bounce/freeze/render tracks to keep real time audio peaks in check, do you track live instruments, do you supplement plugins with physical hardware, etc., etc., etc.

Nerd out on me, I want to know what you're doing, how you go about it, and what's getting in the way of your goals(hardware wise).

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I just started recording in my basement for my band about a year ago. I use Reaper as my DAW. My interface is a Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen and and I have a Presonus Digimax D8 preamp for 16 mic channels of input. Connected with USB 2. I do everything else in the box.

I stick to the free plug-ins because I'm not professionally making money doing this to justify spending tons of money on plug-ins where it can mostly be accomplished with the free stuff I can find.

I haven't gotten to a full count of tracks on a song yet but my computer has started to get bogged down by the plug-ins hitting 100% CPU usage, so I won't be able to push much farther into a final mix. Still need several more guitar tracks, bass track, keyboard and vocals. It doesn't have any problem recording the tracks when doing everything live, but started to notice some latency if trying to record guitar with DI and using a plug in or amp sim for distortion during playback of the drum tracks ever with all drum FX turned off. There 1 or 2 of those plug ins that really hang the loading time on Reaper so I may uninstall those, but one sounded really good on my bass drum track.

My computer being used is my previously retired build from 2008 of Intel Q6600, 8GB ram, hard drive is 7200rpm. I was hoping this would hold up.

My current desktop I use for everything else has a 4770, and 16gb ram, SSD boot drive and 7200rpm hard drive. I will be swapping this to be the recording computer when it gets upgraded. I'll also convert to a 500+/- gb SSD for better access speed. I'm hoping that will help with the latency a bit and the wall I am hitting with the FX on playback.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm impressed that you're doing audio work on a Q6600 and not pulling your hair out! Switching to the 4770 is going to be a night and day difference. I use a lot of samples and virtual instruments that are just a massive pool of samples, so I've got everything audio related on SSDs. It sounds like your plugins are mostly DSP, some of those types of plugins cause latency just by existing(because they have to "look ahead" to know when to compress, when to open a gate, etc.). I pretty much can't track live instruments if I have Ozone(mastering suite) on the master bus, at least 200ms of latency added lol. Never mind the actual CPU load and buffer settings. Even with Threadripper(and my overly ambitious musical ideas lol) I'm still hitting a wall. I've had to freeze or bounce basically all of my synths and VI's just to finish tracking guitars.

Free plugins can be pretty great. Despite having a pretty good library of VSTs I still end up using Cubase's stock reverbs lol. And I actually use the 2i2 version of your interface, I do percussion inside the box too so I'll honestly be good just upgrading to the new 4i4.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got 19 tracks between drums and one guitar so far, a few sidechain channels amounting to 125 FX which clocks to 80-100% cpu usage, and showing 5.5 gb of ram still free. I switched the reverb I was using on 2 sidechain tracks and it helped. If I throw anything on the Master it dies. I'll have to get this other computer setup.

Media buffer size 512ms, prebuffer 100% Anticipate FX processing - render ahead 200ms (default) 48k sample rate block size 512

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Got everything loaded onto the 4770 computer ...and....maxes out at 15% CPU usage even after switching the reverb back and throwing some extra compressors and limiters on the master.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube