add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fresh restart to computer questions

jarrodrh

4 months ago

looking to reset/restart my computer in hopes it fixes some issues I've been having, clear up junk and speeds things up. I've done this once before and i had someone guide me through the process of putting Windows10 on too a USB and restarted it that way but can't remember each step and where to even start. Looking in the settings though I came across a few different options on starting fresh and would just like to get some help and suggestions on the quickest easiest and most efficient route I should take. If I do however go the USB route again I don't really care about backing anything other than Windows10 up on the USB. This PC is strictly for gaming.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The best way is to back up everything you have on an external drive and do a full reinstall of Windows. The steps are simple: 1) back up your files; 2) insert your USB drive with the Windows installer and restart your system; 3) go into your BIOS and manually reboot with the USB drive as priority.

When you go through the installer, it will let you delete your partitions and format/reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. That is definitely the best way to do a clean install.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

tried to download it on the USB driver but just received an error code (0x80042405 - 0xA001B).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

create a windows 10 installation media usb

install Windows

Done

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

tried to download it on the USB driver but just received an error code (0x80042405 - 0xA001B)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Mark is always here to save the day haha! good to hear from you again and I'll be sure to give it a shot. thank you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So I have everything set up on the USB drive and its good to go so now how should I reset my computer? I noticed there are a few different options in the settings.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh! OK, which settings.

Any screen shot?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/when-to-use-Windows-10-recovery-options.png

looks like this. theres also an option to go to a different version of windows.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Software > Operating Systems".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube