add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which cable to use for 1GB optical fiber

PavelMan

3 months ago

Hello,

My building has been finally been upgraded to optical fiber, so now I should be able to use 1GB of internet speed. I need a cable connecting to the router, so I'm wondering which cable should I use. I was told to best get CAT7, but I wanted to make sure it's the best option.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need Cat7 for gigabit Internet. You would be just fine on Cat5e, but often you can get Cat6 for a similar price these days. Therefore my recommendation is Cat6. You would also need to make sure:

• Your router can handle gigabit speeds (even if the ports are gigabit, many consumer routers just can't actually serve that level of performance)

• The cable from your router to the modem (or building) is Cat5e or better

• If the building itself is wired, then that those cables are Cat5e or better

If the building uses Cat5e there will be no point in getting anything better than Cat5e anyway.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the replay. Any idea which cable is better? ETION or Luggar?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience, ethernet cable is ethernet cable. Get whatever is cheapest. I've used a mix of cables from Monoprice, StarTech, random throw in box cables, from some random companies off Amazon, and the only one I've had problems with was some small ugly yellow Cat4 cable that I don't even know where it came from and probably had survived an apocalypse or three.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

HAHAHA thanks

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a very good point on the router being able to handle it. I have a lower end gigabit AC router which caps out at 140mbps when I have QoS enabled.

For the longest time I thought my ISP was just being lame and not giving me the full 200mbps they promised, but its actually my router holding things back cuz of the QoS being on.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Cat5e is probably all you need. If existing then leave it, if buying and cat6e is almost same price then go for it. No need to even think about Cat7 or 8.

Cat5e can do gigabit and specifies length up to 100 meters if not maxed out and 50 meters if at max speed.

Cat6 can go up to 10gig but length is max 100 meters for 1 gig speed and 55 meters at max speed (or even 33 meters if high crosstalk conditions)

Cat6a has same speeds but lengths can be longer.

Cat7 can transmit up to 40 Gb at 50 meters and even 100 Gb at 15 meters. Usually used in datacenters.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube