add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Slytherpuff

4 months ago

Do I really have to pay for an operating system and why are they so expensive? Is there a way to get one for a cheap price

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

Do I really have to pay for an operating system

Nope! You're free to install one of the many flavors of Linux at any time!

why are they so expensive?

Because Microsoft likes your money.

If you are a higher ed student, you might be able to get Windows through your school. Many institutions offer software programs to students. I got my copy of Windows 8 (which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade window) this way, because I was taking some courses.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

To be fair, programming an OS is one of the more difficult things to do in software development. And even linux distributions are always begging for donations cause of how much effort it takes.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No doubt. I was just being cheeky with my answer.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Do I really have to pay for an operating system and why are they so expensive?

Assuming you're talking about Windows. Most of the time yes.

Why are they so expensive? Well I'd argue they're not. But if you're used to F2P games, and just buying anything for a pittance during sales, or otherwise not paying for anything. Having to actually plunk some money down is just outside your comfort zone.

I also remember not really wanting to pay for Windows in my youth either. $150 seems like a ton of money until you have $1000 worth of bills every month. All of a sudden, $150 for something you're going to be using for years and years isn't such a big deal. I've been running the same Windows license for just about 10 years now, across three different machines. It's cost me less than 40 cents a day at this point. And I make more than 40 cents a minute, so I've got better things to fuss over personally. And the price is the price.

Is there a way to get one for a cheap price

OEM licenses are cheaper. But the problem is when you go to build a new system in a couple of years the OEM license isn't transferable. And two OEM licenses cost more than a single Retail license. So if you'd rather save $50 now, and you're sure you won't be made in a couple of years that you need to buy a new license, that could be an option.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube