add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't update my Windows 10 to the 1903 version

KarmAngel

4 months ago

Hi everyone ^_^

So i have the Windows 10 Home on my laptop (a legal licence, by the way). I normally check for updates and download and install them whanever they are available.

But this time i can't...

I can download and install the version from Definitions/Windows Update, but the problem is when i have to restart the PC...

Everytime i restart (to perform the last step of installation), it just freezes at 48%. I tried a couple times but it freezes at the exact same spot. Why?

Got any tips? I sincerily don't know how to overcome this. It's frustrating cause i wouldn't expect a failure on a Windows Update... If it was an illegal copy of Windows 10, i would understand but it isn't the case.

I also don't know how to resolve this, as i don't want to do anything bad on the OS and make the situation worst, so i rather asking here for expertise opinion.

I look forward for it.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Try running the Windows Update troubleshooter- it's a built in tool that does a lot of the normal troubleshooting steps for these types of issues (such as clearing the update cache).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, but where is that option located?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello again. I just did that and tried to reinstall the 1903 version again but still gave the same problem.

Anything more that i can try?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

The nuclear option is to reinstall from scratch.

Barring that, you can try disabling other background programs that may interfere: antivirus, for example.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yikes... i would love to avoid the nuclear option. But if it got to be in the end... i will do it.

But i will pick on the other option that you gave me. I'm disabling some programs and see in what that comes.

Thanks for the help again.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Second option didn't work :( Man, do i need to go to the nuclear option?

I get a feeling that it would still fail me, i don't know why.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

It's the most surefire way, unfortunately. You can also use the Repair option from a Win10 boot disk first, but I've never had luck with that. Might as well just back everything up and reinstall at that point.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess it comes to that. Well, thanks for the troubleshooting. I now have to do what it must be done.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Try the Windows 10 Update Assistant. Should fix your problem!

HERE

Good luck

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

ANNDD didn't work :( Thanks for the help anyway

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Damn! Before you format try to delete your update cache files. They may be corrupt in some way for some several reasons, and despite all your different tries, you can be using that cache.

Press Win + R and then type services.msc and hit Enter.

Find and double click on Windows Update and then click on Stop button.

To delete Update cache, go to - C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Press CTRL+A and press Delete to remove all files and folders. Again press Win + R and then type services.msc and hit Enter. Find and double click on Windows Update and then click on Start button.

Hope it helps!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. I'm trying that. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube