add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Win 10 Deactivate

8bitbro

4 months ago

Hello Pc Part People

Hope all is well. So I think it's time for me to hang up the video game grind. About 2 months ago i built an all AMD gaming pc, and while it's a great machine (at least i think so lol) the desire for gaming has come to a somewhat abrupt halt. Having said that, I am trying to get rid of the complete system as opposed to parting out. My question is am I able to deactivate my windows license key and still offer the PC with Win 10? The buyer would have to get a new key for themselves. I would also have to remove the device from my microsoft account right? I want to avoid having to reformat everything. Or is there a way to restore default settings? Thank you all for reading.

Best Regards.

Here is a link if anyone wants to see :). https://pcpartpicker.com/user/8bitbro/saved/#view=C2VHhM

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

The simple answer is No. For OEM versions, there is no limit to the transfer of one end user to another end user, as long as the licence key and device (motherboard) remain together. Full 32/64 bit retail versions of OS are licence transferrable to another PC

I would delete all media and personal information. Uninstall any programs you wish to move to another machine. Send anything remaining in the recycle bin to the shredder. Then perform a system reset to default settings.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Transit, thank you for the reply and info. So if I am reading this right, the license key and hardware are tied together. And being that I purchased a full retail version, I can have multiple machines tied to my license when linked to my MS account? I feel all over the place with this so I apologize if not understanding correctly

And to your second paragraph, the pc is strictly gaming so there is no personal info. Won't even let the mrs. put pictures on it :). So it looks like deleting and resetting is my best bet.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Full retail version is one licence key/ one PC /same time. You can deactivate and move the key to another PC, so no not multiple at same time.

You part list indicates OEM version. Are you absolutely sure or did you just add the first Win10 Home Edition you saw to your list? You can check on the system information page.

If you discover you do in fact have a retail version, then yes you can deactivate you licence key and sell/gift your PC with Windows 10 still installed. New owner would simply need to purchase THEIR key from Microsoft or use one they already have.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Transit. So i should have the retail version. I bought from Best Buy when i built my other pc 4+ years ago. But i will have to double check on the system info page. The reason why i have to check is that when i tried to install win10 (original usb key) before with the new hardware, i would get random system locks and update errors. A friend of mine brought over his usb with most recent version and installed no problem. I registered it under my MS account and was good to go. So i would assume that my license key is also linked to my MS account. Or i have something different. I will have to check. Again thank you so much for your help. Best Regards, Chris(8bitbro)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are certain that the Windows license in use, is a full retail,
You can following the instructions at the following link: TheWindowsClub

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Warlock, thank you for the response and the info. I will be sure to read the link after confirmation of whether its full retail. I would like to say i am 95% sure.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The simple answer is No...

Point.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

You can check for yourself by reading your own MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS in your current system.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It is, when the OP is asking to "deactivate" an OEM license.

As Transit_75 already pointed out,
The OEM is tied to the mobo, so there is no use to "deactivate" the key.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So my mistake. To clear things up its is not an oem version as i bought a retail copy of win10 at best buy. But like transit has said, i will double check in system info. My list was incorrect.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries. You can follow the instructions at the TheWindowsClub link already posted.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My question is am I able to deactivate my windows license key and still offer the PC with Win 10?

Not in any meaningful capacity. If you wanted, you could run the Windows 10 installer and leave it for the recipient to activate and handle first-time setup for (hostname, keyboard layout, user accounts, etc.), but that's a rather trivial service, and is not what is generally meant when you want to "offer the PC with Win 10".

The buyer would have to get a new key for themselves.

This is what we'd describe as Windows 10 NOT being included with the system.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Root, thank you for the reply and info. So basically what you are saying is that I should do a fresh install. Then let the recipient link there MS account to the pc? But then how would that work on the hardware level if it's already spoken for? I feel all over the place with this so I apologize if not understanding correctly. I asked a friend of mine and he sent a link for me to read. Seems to be more trouble then what it's worth. https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97804-activation-says-linked-your-microsoft-account-how-do-you-sell.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube