add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

not a vacation

aud10_fr3ak

4 months ago

as some of you may (or may not) have noticed, i haven't been active for four weeks.

What did i do for those four weeks? Took a very cough long trip to China. and no it wasn't a vacation because it wasn't very enjoyable and vacations are supposed to be relaxing but this was not.

how i got there: a plane. united economy class.

what i did the first week: went to beijing, saw forbidden city, great wall, ming tombs, the hutong, and did very touristy things my because my parents wanted to for the first week. didn't eat lunch for the entire week.

what i ate: duck. KFC. mcdonalds. hot pot. noodles with dumplings. why?: because that's all you get to eat there. guide book: "diverse resturant scene." i would disagree. duck, hot pot, noodles. dumplings. that's literally all you have to eat.

next few weeks i visited relatives, first in guangzhou then in hong kong. fun? no. "go feed the chickens" "cook this" "cook that" "buy some snake" "kill the snake" "clean/cook the snake" not to mention it was humid af. "we're going to see these other relatives and we're going out for dinner again"

what there was to eat: the same chicken, duck, and fish every day (except for that one day that there was snake and we stayed home). all the same, not matter what restaurant.

now that you have seen my rant the rest of you share your travel experiences. tell a few stories. hope for some interesting discussion even though this trip wasn't so interesting.

edit: i actually had to leave school 2 weeks early and i had to take finals early which was a pain in the side.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 7 points

Never been to China. Sorry your trip wasn't enjoyable.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

I’m not a big fan of vacationing in general. Stay in your house the whole time, much better experience.

Went to a beach with my family recently. Legs got burned worse than a grandfather’s toast.

(EDIT: burned, burnt- anyone know?)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

burned, burnt

Both are acceptable and interchangeable, although some regions have more particular proclivities.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

insert “The More You Know” gif here

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I’m not a big fan of vacationing in general. Stay in your house the whole time, much better experience.

Spoken like a true GAMER

Burned is proper, unless you come freedom mc cheeseburger land otherwise its that lame-o burnt.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, fellow gamer. Time to rise up and show the world how breathtaking Keanu Reeves says we are!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Now that's what is called a pro gamer move.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Vacationing is awesome, but it depends on what kind and how much control you have. If you're forced onto a beach for too long and with inadequate cover, you're gonna have a bad time!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I had that last one. And burned legs that weren’t the chicken kind.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I was in China for a couple weeks on a working trip and loved it. Of course I didn't have bossy relatives telling me what to do. The food was great because I followed two simple rules: 1) don't ask what it is, 2) it has to be dead before I put it in my mouth. (Minor rule 3 was eat at the dives, not the fancy tourist places.) For all I know I had different parts of duck the whole time (no, probably not) but it was fantastic. I could have done without 13+ hours in economy class though.

The way we do food at the Standards meetings is a group wanders down the side alleys until someone pops out of a doorway and starts shooing us in. If there are locals eating there, and beer, we sit down, shrug at the undecipherable menu and let them pick food for us. Even when an alley dive rips us off (rare) it's still cheaper than the tourist places with English menus, and it's usually better.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

That sucks but hey at least you got 2 less weeks of school and got to visit a beautiful country.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

My mom and I got food poisoning in Venice Italy back in 2010. We had to endure an 8 hour train ride back to Rome while having explosive diarrhea and i was non-stop puking lmao It was a nightmare.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Fun for all concerned, including the other passengers. Ugh.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Chinese cuisine is very diverse. You didn't go to the right, local places. What did you expect going to two american fast food chains in China?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually no it’s not diverse if you are Chinese yourself and have eaten these things many times. Note I was referring to being in Beijing. And I didn’t feel like walking for food after a long day of sightseeing. Note that “American” chains are very tailored to the market and have items you don’t have in America. In Beijing food is not diverse. In terms of local stuff there aren’t many special things except for duck and a few other things. Besides I was jet lagged and had no appetite.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The first week sounds fun.

Visiting relatives for that long though sounds significantly less fun.

The food sounds good to me, but I'm weird. I could do hot pots every day as long as there was more than just beef tripe, haha.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I look back at some of our family "vacations" that were more of visiting family. My sister said I complained about going - but now older, wiser, I look back at the positive things and wish I could do it again. Maybe I block out the negative things to make it better.

We did some touristy things which were also good.

But I agree, a vacation should be relaxing. Some people consider a vacation doing all those touristy things - I don't. That is what I call a trip, not a vacation.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate vacation.

Well, I'll be going to Disney World in like a month, that will be cool.

But typically I hate vacation.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I'll be going to Disney World in like a month, that will be cool.

The VOID at Disney Springs.

Secrets of the Empire.

Do what must be done. Do not hesitate; show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the Dark Side to enjoy vacations.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Who needs vacation when we have VR? Right? I mean, right?
crickets in the background

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Take your VR, ON VACATION. So you can getaway while you getaway!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So happy to see others who don’t think that traveling is the greatest thing in the world. I mean instead of paying $4000 for 7 days of moderate fun somewhere else, I can just buy a 2080ti for myself and an entire rig for my wife that we’ll use for years! Currently in Germany again on a business trip. Had a little fun last time renting a Ducati and hitting 292kph (181mph) on the autobahn, but not doing it this time. Wish I was back home with my family and my beloved PC. Playing on a 720p Switch screen is just not the same.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive been on several cruises, one to Alaska, another one to Mexico

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube