add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ethernet Cable is in but there is no wifi

Oscar_Deane

4 months ago

Just finished my pc build (I'm pretty new to this), and I went to connect it to the internet via ethernet cable. It just says that nothing is attached and that it can't connect to the internet. My motherboard is the MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, my cpu is the AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor, and I'm on windows 10 Home. Thanks for the help -Oscar

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

First of all, wi-fi and internet are not synonymous.

As xbiker12 mentioned, you are likely lacking the proper drivers for the ethernet device. Your motherboard should come with a CD that contains the drivers. If you do not have an optical drive, see if you can use a different internet connected device to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website and then transfer them to your new computer.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so I downloaded the drivers. It still won't connect to the internet. I have the ethernet cable in and I'm sure that it works for other devices like my xbox. Got any suggestions of what to do next?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure what your specific situation is, but you likely have to associate the driver to the hardware, especially since you proclaimed to have merely "downloaded" the drivers rather than "installed" them. I also have little idea how experienced you are, so I will go through every step.

If the drivers came as an archived file (such as a zip folder), extract them as needed. If there is an installer wizard for the drivers, run the wizard. If not, continue on.

Open Device Manager (you can do this from the start menu or through control panel). Under 'Network adapters', you will see your ethernet adapter. If there is no such category, your device may not be recognized yet and under 'Other devices'. Select the ethernet adapter, and in the secondary click menu, there will be an option to 'Update Driver Software'. If you previously used the wizard, the 'search automatically' option should work. In other cases, use the 'browse my computer' option and locate the downloaded drivers.

There are many articles on the internet showing the steps I have just outlined above.

Some users have had issues with the motherboard manufacturer's drivers not installing properly. If this is the case, try obtaining the drivers from the ethernet adapter manufacturer (could be Atheros, Intel, Realtek, or some other brand).

If all this does not work, you will have to be more specific about what you have and have not done so far on your system.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If its a new build, sometimes you have to install the network drivers using a usb drive before they'll work. (I've had it go both ways)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube