add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SametMazi

4 months ago

So I plan to get an SSD upgrade for my laptop that uses a 5400rpm HDD (which I plan on making external) but I have a few questions: 1) after booting into windows 10 from the usb drive, do I copy the files to the ssd? 2) does the SSD need any sort of driver or update? 3) since the 5400rpm HDD is slow, would it also be as slow as an external HDD or will it have faster speeds as it doesn't have to cope with the os and all that?

Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. If you're planning on replacing the HDD with the SSD, you will need special software to "clone" the Windows installation and all files. There are many vendors that provide such software. (I've personally used Clonezilla, and it works fine, but I wouldn't describe its user interface as friendly.)
  2. No special drivers are needed to use the SSD.
  3. This is actually complicated, depending on your laptop and the kind of enclosure you put the HDD in:
    • If your laptop supports USB 3, and you put the HDD in a USB 3 enclosure, then in terms of raw performance, your HDD will be a hair slower in an external enclosure than it was when it was internal (due to USB-SATA translation). However, because Windows won't be constantly accessing it for swap and system files, it may seem a bit faster.
    • If your laptop only supports USB 2, or you put the HDD in a USB 2 enclosure, then your HDD will be capped at USB 2's maximum speed, which is about 48 MB/sec. Since most modern HDDs can easily do 100MB/sec over native SATA, this will be a huge slowdown.
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly do I need to do with the clonezilla program? I was thinking to get a usb with an ISO file that I could use? Is cloning easier? And does that clone only get windows so everything else is deleted (I want a clean install as I have a lot of bloatware)

The enclosure is usb 3.0 but also works with usb 2.0 or 1.1. I'm not sure which usb gen my laptop is, I'm guessing usb 2.0 so I'll probably get lower performance :(

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking to get a usb with an ISO file that I could use? Is cloning easier?

If you want to clean install it is easier then cloning. But keep in mind you will either need a key, or find out what your windows license key is.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What exactly do I need to do with the clonezilla program? [ ... ] (I want a clean install as I have a lot of bloatware)

Cloning software is only needed if you want to copy your existing Windows installation to a new drive. But you're going to do a fresh install on the new drive, then you don't need it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok you have two options if I'm following what you are asking. You can't just willy nilly copy files over to the new drive and expect it to work if that's what you were getting at.

Section 1:

1. Do a fresh install via a DVD-rom or USB of Windows 10. Windows will find the drivers/firmware for your SSD no problem. Once you are done installing Windows should activate if you use the same microsoft account to tie it together.

2. Option 2 is a bit tricky using cloning software. Sometimes the SSD manufacturer will offer a cloning program. If so that may be a bit more user friendly. Clonezilla is real good for power users...but also not overly friendly for noobs. Your SSD will need to be equal to or greater than the size of the hdd. Clonzilla acts as a "live os" that is booted from a usb iso. From there ideally it's best to have the new ssd where you want it and the old drive mounted via usb or esata or some other method. I always use a Sabrent usb3 to sata/ide hdd adapter.

Section 2:

Before beginning any of this...you'll probably want to backup your existing hard drive's files to another device (ext hdd) so that you can migrate what you want back onto the new install. Windows has built in programs for this and there are also many programs that come with an ext hdd.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube