add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Connected to the internet via cable but still not getting the 100 mb/s speed? wwwWWHHHAATtt?

KarmAngel

5 months ago

Hi everyone ^_^ I will be straight to the point.

My fiber internet has 2 wireless networks: one caped at 50 mb/s download speed (2.4 GHz) and the other at 100 mb/s (5 GHz).

Of course, when i play online games or download big stuff from internet (example games from steam), i use wired internet (internet cable).

However, i notice when downloading games from steam that i can't reach more than 50 mb/s and i could confirm it, when i saw the internet bar task, that the wired internet connection was the network that only reachs at maximum 50 mb/s (2.4 GHz)...

BUT WHYYY? Shouldn't be the best one? What am i doing wrong? Do i have to enable something or what? I need help to solve this mistery, for me.

Also, the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER so i don't think my mobo would compromise it. I mean, i can use the 5 GHz Wireless network but why can't i use it wired?

Standing by for your opinions. I will wait :)

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

It's not clear to me what your network setup looks like. Do you have two different internet providers, or just one? Where does the wired ethernet connect to?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Just one.

When i ment wired internet, i want to say, when i connect my PC to the router via a cable (Cat7).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd verify your wired link speed first, to make sure it's running at 1 Gbit. If it is, the most likely explanation is that your internet provider isn't really giving you the speed you expect.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

But... i never said it reached 1 Gbit.

I tested and it reached around 30 mb/s (maximum) download

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm talking about the link speed. Your wired link should be running at one of 10/100/1000 megabits per second; a misconfiguration or a bad cable can prevent that. On linux "ethtool devicename" will tell you the link speed, on Windows I dunno but I imagine a hardware control panel somewhere should list it. If the wired ethernet link is running OK, and the router is OK (no good way to tell), then you're at the mercy of your internet provider and it sounds like it's topping out at 30 megabits? megabytes? per second.

I just went through an exercise where the onboard ethernet of one of my junk cluster nodes went bad, and when I hooked up a USB-to-ethernet adapter it wouldn't run faster than 100 Mbit/sec. Turned out that not only was auto-negotiate turned off, but the cable I was using was defective!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I tested again. All of the webpages that test the internet speeds gave me a score in megabits.

So when using the 5GHz connection (wireless internet) it gave me: 100 mbps download and 60 mbps upload (the nearest server on me)

When using the internet cable i got this results: 100 mbps download and 100 mbps upload (same server)

So i'm thinking that i might misunderstand mbps for MB, as if i convert 100 mbps to MB it give me 12.5 MB.

Yeahh... i guess that i messed up because of my ignorance and just created a forum post just for my lack of attention... I'm sorry.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

The internet speeds that your ISP provides may differ throughout the day. Please compare the 5 GHz connection and the wired connection at the same time for more accurate results.

How exactly are the speeds "capped"? Is there a router setting preventing users from exceeding a set speed, is it a hardware limitation, or are they speed limits in your experience? What is the advertised speed of your ISP?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

This almost a copy paste from another reply i gave to other user.

I tested again. All of the webpages that test the internet speeds gave me a score in megabits.

So when using the 5GHz connection (wireless internet) it gave me: 100 mbps download and 60 mbps upload (the nearest server on me)

When using the internet cable i got this results: 100 mbps download and 100 mbps upload (same server)

So i'm thinking that i might misunderstand mbps for MB, as if i convert 100 mbps to MB it give me 12.5 MB.

Yeahh... i guess that i messed up because of my ignorance and just created a forum post just for my lack of attention... I'm sorry. I'm still answering all your questions anyway.

How exactly are the speeds "capped"?

My bad. Used the wrong word. I wanted to say the maximum internet provided by ISP. If i payed more for the internet package, i could have even better internet speeds.

Is there a router setting preventing users from exceeding a set speed, is it a hardware limitation, or are they speed limits in your experience?

None. We could manually set a limit for other users to not exceed some internet speed but there's no need of that. The router provides the internet with 2 wireless frequencies (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, which they make 50 mbps and 100 mbps download respectively). The strange thing is when i connect my PC to the router via internet cable (Cat7) it shows that if i was connected to a wired version of 2.4 GHz internet frequency (even though i'm not connected to a wireless internet when i just want to use the internet wired). But as you read above, i have internet speeds better than the 2.4 GHz frequency, which means that despite it says (on the wired internet) that i'm using the 2.4 GHz frequency, practically i'm using the best one, which is the 5 GHz frequency speeds. Strange if you ask me.

What is the advertised speed of your ISP?

On the 2.4 GHz frequency (50 mbps download and upload)

On the 5 GHz frequency (100 mbps download and upload)

As i saw from my wired internet (using Cat7 to connect PC to the router) i get 100 mbps download and upload as well.

Sorry for my ignorance and lack of attention. I screwed up big time.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

To me, it seems strange that there would be speed caps on the different frequencies. Is there any way to remove them such that you can achieve 100 Mbps internet on the 2.4 GHz network?

This is something we may have both overlooked: even when your network cable is plugged in, your wireless card may still be on and connecting to a wireless network. Essentially, your wired interface is communicating directly with your router, and your wireless interface is communicating with the 2.4 GHz network. A smart enough computer should automatically decide which to use for internet connection. However, the other network should still be available for communication as long as your computer keeps both systems on (suppose you are connected to free wi-fi at a café shop and connect an ethernet cable to another computer: you still have internet access through the café and can run file transfers with the other computer at the ethernet speed).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know either. The technique from my ISP, that installed my fiber internet, said that the internet at 2.4 GHz could only reach at 50mbps and 5 GHz could only reach at 100 mbps (but with the option to upgrade it as long as i pay more for it, which means they can provide more speed through the 5 GHz frequency to 250mbps or 500 mbps or even 1000mbps).

And yes, my PC can detect both wireless and wired internet, can be connected to both and automatically chooses the best one (wired connection as preference).

I think the 2.4 GHz can't reach higher speeds but has a longer reach and it doesn't disturbs easily as the 5 GHz counterpart (i remember studying that at physics and too see that here on the internet as well but kinda lazy to search that XD)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

what router do you have? Is it seperate from the modem from the ISP? kinda sounds like the router ports are only 10/100 instead of gigabit???

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late response (been busy).

what router do you have?

I can't tell. The ISP provided it's own router for us (zero cost). I searched everywhere but i didn't find any brand or model of the router. The only thing it has is the ISP brand's name (Altice).

Is it seperate from the modem from the ISP?

I don't know what you are asking. My device is router and modem on the same device, if i'm correct. You got to ask/explain like if you are talking for an ignorant person like myself, on this subject, cause i have no idea what are you asking on this 1.

kinda sounds like the router ports are only 10/100 instead of gigabit???

I can only tell the speed on mbits, cause that's the internet speed unity provided by the ISP. I got fiber internet but currently using the lowest internet speed from the fiber internet speed (100 mbits, which is in 12,5 MB). Of course, if you want more speed, you have to pay more. The other speed variants that i saw that my ISP can provide were: 250 mbits, 500 mbits and 1000 mbits (which are 31.25 MB, 62.5 MB and 125 MB, respectively). Which in resume (and i hope to answer your question), that i'm limited by the internet package from my ISP. I can have a gigabit speed if i want, my router is already prepared for that, all that it needs is a call from me and a bigger paycheck for my ISP... Only that. XD

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube