add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 really high temp (not too often)

darkshadoku

8 months ago

Hello,

So on Saturday and Sunday i was playing FF14 at 1440p ultra, as i always play it and i got a notification on cam that my GPU temp was 80-83. I rarely if even rarely get that notification in regards to GPU temp and was just wondering if this was normal? I do have to note that the temperature here where i live was around 95-100 degrees F, but i always have my AC in room set to 62 degrees. Any idea if the weather had a direct effect on the GPU temps and if it is a serious problem that can possibly damage my GPU.

On a side note... my GPU is usually around 35-55 degrees while gaming. I have the Fan curve to Aggressive using the EVGA Precision software, no Overclocking done

Here is my parts list

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4fGKwV

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

83 degrees is the nominal target temp for a 1080Ti at which the card will downclock speed. The temp itself is safe for a 1080Ti, infact that is the temp a founders edition card will sit at under load, but its somewhat warm for a FTW3. Your weather is not an issue, more so as your in an air conditioned room. Your GPU actual temps themselves if CAM is reporting correctly, while hot is within normal operation tempreture of the 1080Ti, abit hot for a FTW3 model as your will likely see some dip in the boost clock.

Seeing as its FF14, likely a specific load causing heavy usage. Seems other's report the same with the game: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/367910-Additional-Data-Needed-Regarding-GPU-Utilization-Issues / https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8liz9k/increased_gpu_usage_after_patch_43/

So seems to be game specific. Your temps themselves while warm, are fine still for a 1080Ti, just means your boost is likely dipping below

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info on this. I will have to run some more tests to see if it is only being caused by FFXIV or if it happens with any happen... which hasn't happened before. Another thing to note is i had downloaded and ran the Benchmark for the Shadowbringers expansion a couple weeks ago and ran it ultra settings at 1080p/1440p/4K and the temp on my card never exceeded 55-60. So once i run some more tests, i might find that it is indeed only happening in FF14. I usually play wow, black ops 3/4, apex,black desert online and others with minimum temps (really chill temps).

I did feel a stutter but it was mostly sound related (was listening to youtube videos in background) but i didnt experience a FPS dip, was still 144+ at 1440p

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

80c is on the hotter side of a gpus temp limit but still ok, looks like it might be time for a more aggressive fan curve or to replace the thermal paste.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

My GPU never gets this hot and the fan curve i have is set as aggressive using the preset on the precision software, i think if it goes above 65 degrees it goes into full speed fans, but i will definitely look more into it. I really doubt it will happen again but... back in the day i had a Radeon 5770 and it literally fell apart inside of my computer (heatsink/thermal paste) everything came off lol.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

As an update - I let my pc run at idle and it was idling at 31 C, I played FF14 again and it was at 60-74, but the temperature in my town isn't as hot as it was when I posted the topic.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Must had been the heat outside for weird reasons.

Last week, my city got to 93 degrees at one point, now is it abut 64-68 degrees (which is normal for my city).

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah mine topped out at 105... lol usually its 85 and below, 90ish sometimes but not often

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube