add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Internet and Streaming

Haze159

5 months ago

I've always wanted to livestream games to Twitch but my upload speed has never been high enough. Yesterday I got new internet which is supposed to give me 300Mbps down and Around 30Mbps up. What is the recommended upload speed for streaming at either 720p or 1080p?

Also, the advertised download speed is 300Mbps, but I only get half of it. I understand I won't get all of it because we have a lot of devices connected, but yesterday I was getting about 250Mbps and now it's down to 150Mbps. Thank's for any help or explanation.

https://gyazo.com/b7534ad786307634c9072570e05c407a

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m not too familiar with streaming requirements, but when it comes to your actual download and upload speeds almost all ISPs advertise the “speed” as a “maximum” meaning you “get up to” that speed, not necessarily always have that speed.

Typically during high demand times (after dinner when everyone gets on their internet for example) the ISPs network gets bogged down and you won’t see your max speed. This can be resolved by having your own dedicated line run into the home/property, but this can be very expensive. Also, the speed can be lowered by the amount of traffic your local network has on it along with the signal strength of WiFi.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Twitch provides some basic broadcasting guidelines: https://stream.twitch.tv/encoding/

Keep in mind that the video bitrate should be able to be changed as needed, depending on your streaming software. You could have the same bitrate at both resolutions, but the video quality would be higher for the lower resolution stream.

Your current upload speed exceeds the Twitch guidelines for 1080p @ 60 FPS. 30 megabit/s > 6000 kilobit/s = 6 megabit/s Assuming that your hardware can handle it, I would stream at 1080p.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube