add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pro modders: help! I want to build a sff raven ridge PC INSIDE of my current pc.

autumnknight

6 months ago

Impractical? Yes. impossible? Maybe.

As the title suggests I want to build an everyday use / entertainment build using a 2400g. Now my current gaming setup (the Aurora Borealis build on my partpicker builds) consists of a ryzen 2700x, Asus x470 pro, aorus 2080, and 750 watt psu inside of an nzxt h500i. Now I'm not using the drive bay in the bottom of the case and could fit another power supply. I've used a lite edition CAD like software to design a rendering and although the dimensions fit (almost barely) I'm more worried about the obvious issues like ESD standards, heat and interference. Now alternatively I have designed a dual system mounting layout that would place both pcs on my keyboard tray. I have a glass top desk and wouldn't mind using that as a DIY desk build. Again, as impractical as it sounds just asking if anyone has attempted anything like this ?! I have found DIY parts from sites like mountain mods and other modding sites that would be of aid. You can save the negative comments about how I'm wasting money or time as that isn't what this is about to me. I'm a PC enthusiast and a dual system sounds kind of intriguing as both my fiance and I often need to use the PC at the same time and my desk is built to have someone sit on both sides and hold 2 monitors back to back. Normally I use a laptop and hdmi connection to a second monitor but as you can imagine going from my PC to my laptop feels a bit sluggish to say the least. I dont want to take up too much space with another atx size case yet havent found A. an AMD sff case that isnt a compromise in functionality / look like a cable box or B. a dual system build case that I like.. the phanteks being the only I'd even consider, yet somehow I like the look of my nzxt case and after finally getting everything perfect taking it apart would feel wrong. If that makes any sense lol.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd look into all the raspberry pi variants and clones before digging into raven ridge (even though that is hard to beat).

Power will be you biggest concern. Do you want to split power off the main power supply or have your own power supply. And of course with power comes heat. Raven ridge might draw low power compared to most PCs, but that heat has to come out of the case somehow, and expect the case to heat up until it does.

I don't think you want to add an extra monitor. Perhaps a monitor with multiple HDMI inputs that can switch between the two (or more), preferably a secondary monitor for the main computer. You might be stuck with either two keyboards or some sort of KVM switch (although I'd expect it not to handle the "M" portion).

I'm also wondering how you will deal with all the brackets and whatnot? Your own workbench? After hours at work? A local makerlab? Same goes for cables, but I don't consider them so specialized (probably because I'm a computer type and not mechanical).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

So I'd be using a smaller psu, dedicated to the second PC. My current is monitor has multiple hdmi inputs and bridges another monitor actually, which I use from time to time. Mostly just cycles a screensaver though as of now lol. The monitor hdmi software let's me use two pcs on one monitor or 2 monitors on one PC. Though I've only messed with it a little and not sure how well that works. I think I'm going to settle for using an matx motherboard tray mounted to a piece of acrylic underneath the glass desk for her build. Optimize airflow with intake and outtake side fans. Three 120 mm on each side. I have extra aios lying around. I thought about a test bench or core p3 mounted to the top of my current build. Just had my first son. Room is something I'm finding myself with less and less of. Even in the office Haha. and add some USB ports, power button and fan control. Use my raspberry pi kit and a LCD mod I just found as a secondary monitoring screen mounted against the glass possibly. Instead of using just

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube