add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any BELIEVERS COMMENTARY in NAVI rumors that have recently come out

adeoluy2k
  • 10 months ago

with computex around the corner, how does the community feel about navi....... I for one is looking forward to the massive price drops like when the rtx cards came out I also don't want the navi card to come out late and want them to live up to the hype[cost and performance] as my first pc build is gonna revolve around what's announced at computex

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I hope that it'll be a good and interesting alternative that brings prices down for when I build my brother's computer. But Navi 20 exceeding Radeon VII performance for $500? That's a load of garbage. You don't sell your flagship card for a price that drives down the rest of your products to less than profitable levels.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

the rumored difference is Radeon 7 uses 16gb of HBM 2 while Navi will supposedly use 8gb of gddr6

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Well there are rumors of Navi 10 coming this year and Navi 20 next year. I'm assuming that Navi 20 isn't on the same leaked PCB image (if that leaked image is even their latest prototype, could be really old and AMD is quietly chuckling to themselves). I dunno, it's all just rumors and speculation anyway.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, its fun to speculate. We are always just hopeful of amd kicking nvidia in the *** and we always end up disappointed.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It is, but some of the rumors are just too ridiculous. While AMD probably wants to try and get some of the market share back on video cards, they are also just trying to make money. They can't sell their newest flagship card for $500. I want to see prices go down considerably (even having already paid $1349 for a 2080 Ti), but spreading a rumor like that seems too unbelievable to me. IMO, I think that leaked PCB image won't be for the Navi 20. Even for the 10, I don't see why they would want to continue with blower style fans on their reference cards. I don't think those would be very popular, especially among newcomers to the PC market.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a bit larger then that.

Vega is a integrated package of memory and graphics core on infinity fabric.

Its memory latency is lower with the memory being mounted on package.

And it has far higher memory bandwidth available with a 4096-bit memory bus.

Navi is a conventional die with separate memory the same as Polaris (RX 480/580/590) or NVidia's GTX or RTX series other then Titan V.

Memory latency will be higher since the memory has to be mounted farther away from the die.

And the Memory Bus is much smaller at 256-bit/512-bit giving the package layout if they fully populate the memory spaces with 8gb/16gb. There is an off chance that they will run a 6gb/12gb model to save money without fully populating the memory spaces that will run a 192-bit/384-bit memory bus.

The latency increase isn't as important as the memory bus size which is going to have much more of an impact on end performance since AMD is listing Navi as another GCN architecture in the Linux development drivers.

Most of the performance gained with VII over Vega 64 was from moving to a higher memory bandwidth with 4 stacks of HBM from the 2 on the older package.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

All of this points to a "mid level" Navi being constrained to Vega64 level performance (assuming 256 bit GDDR6). For an "enthusiast Navi", things get more difficult: you need either HMB2 or a 512 bit wide GDDR6, and a VII-level core. This isn't expected to get much more than a VII.

Presumably whatever Sony has been paying AMD to develop the PS5 will pay off in terms of some bandwidth optimization: I can't see Sony paying for HMB2 for the PS5 (unless they have some sort of phone-style integration that drops the price of such things). Even then, I'd expect AMD to need both bandwidth efficiency and some sort of power/area efficiency to get a 2020 Navi die to be competitive with the RTX2080 and above (and expect Nvidia to be launching 7nm cards once TSMC to have 7nm at reasonable cost, so any leapfrog of Turing should be short lived).

Basically here is the issue (~2018 financial revenue) Intel: $70.0GBucks Nvidia: $11.7GBucks AMD: $6.4GBucks

Until recently, AMD was obviously focusing as much of their engineering budget as they could becoming competitive with Intel. They succeeded, but still have to keep running to maintain that. There isn't much left over to try to achieve competitiveness with nvidia (even though they seemed mostly focused on datacenters leaving consumer graphics an afterthought). I still suspect that the PC GPU designers should make great strides helping themselves to circuits that Sony paid to have designed.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Presumably whatever Sony has been paying AMD to develop the PS5 will pay off in terms of some bandwidth optimization: I can't see Sony paying for HMB2 for the PS5 (unless they have some sort of phone-style integration that drops the price of such things).

The less cores in use the less of an issue not having HBM is. But Sony has already confirmed that the "Navi" they are using is a custom design for them so it is likely to be nothing like what AMD launches or sells to everyone else as "Navi".

Edit: Sony Navi is the initial design on data fabric so it can be paired with Ryzen/Ryzen lite cores.

Consumer Navi is a monolithic chip like Turing or Polaris.

It is kind of like comparing Polaris to Vega even though they have the same performance core to core they are completely unlike each other.

Microsoft is already leaking that they are launching the next Xbox on Arcturus not Navi so Sony might just have dead ended themselves on an architecture that is DOA by the time the next PlayStation launches.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe that Navi rumors are the same as all the other prelaunch Rumors.

Fury X was a Titan killer.

RX 480 was going to trade blows with the GTX 1080.

RX 580 would reach GTX 1070 performance.

Vega was another Titan killer.

RX 590 would finally reach GTX 1070 performance.

VII was another Titan killer.

These Rumors always pop up and never turn out true unless You're a cryptocurrency miner in which case it'll beat all expectations You just might not make the money back now.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Navi is an unexciting product from AMD. Some more middle of the road cards hit the market this year, accompanying some mid range drops by Nvidia. 2019 is a stellar year for GPU's, I can barely contain my enthusiasm for them. Sarcasm apart, maybe AMD will be competing next gen with GPU's. They have to when Intel hit the market as well. Right now, as it is, cards get outperformed by their counterparts from Nvidia while running hotter and more power hungry. Putting a turd in a hot dog does not make the turd a wiener.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube