add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

vr controllers have so many buttons!!!

tech_geek100

8 months ago

I really liked the simplicity and versatility of the vive controllers(5 buttons, 1 huge trackpad, 1 menu button, 1 game menu button, 1 trigger, 1 squeeze button) , oculus, valve, vive and everyone else seems to be wanting like 3 triggers and a thumbstick and ab buttons, why the change!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 10 points

So the addition of more buttons is really pushing your buttons?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

totally expect from the man himself

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

The concept didn't really click for me at first

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

no

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

yes :)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The Oculus Touch controllers have been out for many, many years. Almost as long as the Vive has been out. It's not a change lol.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

now the market is being dominated by them though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well tbh, the Rift has always been more competitively priced and marketed vs the Vive. The Vive was the realm of the enthusiast, which they cemented when they released the Pro. Neither company seems to say much about sales figures but (despite Tim Sweeney claiming the opposite a few years ago), I'd say the Rift is probably moving more units. Especially once the Go came out, and now with the Quest and Rift S coming. Oculus is introducing more interesting hardware than HTC and pricing has only gotten better vs HTC.

Now Valve looks intent to dethrone HTC on the high-end of VR, while Oculus continues being the best option for the mainstream (not counting the PSVR which is actually the most mainstream VR option of them all).

As someone who has been very skeptical of VR for years, the Oculus Quest is the first headset that I am pretty interested in buying. I think it's the first headset to really move the needle for VR since we first got demos back in ~2014: going untethered, no external cameras, yet providing the full VR experience (vs things like the Oculus Go, Samsung Gear, and Google Daydream, which are really just ********).

Also in my opinion, having used both, the Oculus Touch controllers are 100x more intuitive and comfortable to use than the Vive wands. Those things feel heavy and weird by comparison. Even the Microsoft Mixed Reality controllers feel better.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry but i kinda feel like the people who have the vive wands are steam controller haters having a grudge on the trackpad, I’m assuming this is not the case. I agree with the oculus go, and daydream being crap, but have you been paying attention to the vive cosmos? I personally like the vive better (and valve) because of the tracking accuracy, if you have put your hand behind your head with an inside out tracking headset and throw something overhand, i have read reviews that say the controller is jittery while it realigns with the camera tracking.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry but i kinda feel like the people who have the vive wands are steam controller haters having a grudge on the trackpad, I’m assuming this is not the case.

Do you mean "the people who hate the vive wands are steam controller haters..."? I'm not sure I understand, but if that's what you meant, no I'm not a Steam Controller hater. I actually haven't ever used a Steam Controller, but I thought they were kind of cool. =)

I haven't been following the Vive Cosmos beyond hearing its name. Now that you've prompted me, I've just read about it. It sounds like the biggest changes are: a) ditching external cameras, which is good imo, much like Oculus Quest and Rift S have done; and b) new controllers, which seem similar in style to Oculus Touch controllers. So the Cosmos sounds like it's fixing two of my biggest complaints about the initial VR setups. It'll be a direct competitor to the Rift S in terms of essentially being hardware updates that ditch external sensor setup. Doesn't sound like it'll appeal to you though since it has touch-style controllers XD

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, My 3 main problems with the touch style is 1, the 3rd trigger. 2, the scrawny form that don’t support bigger hands. And 3, the gimmick where you can lift your finger off the controller and it shows up in game, the idea is cool but since they don’t hold your hand like the index controllers you can only do 1 or 2 fingers at a time without dropping the controller. I personally will probably still use the vive and gradually update with the headset first then if i have trouble with the current controllers (probably wont) i would update to index controllers, the index controllers are more simplified and have 1 trigger and the ability to completely let go of the controller without dropping it. I personally think the vive controllers are very ergonomic, if you put your hand with the pinkie touching the table and relax your hand, that hand shape is the shape the vive controllers are, it might just be because i have long spaghetti fingers that are too long for the touch style. I personally like the lighthouse/external tracking better because if you throw something overhand, when the cameras on the headset find the controller, there is a controller stutter as it realigns with the digital and physical versions of the controller. I also like vive/valve because they have access to the ENTIRE VR library on steam, I don’t know what games are on the oculus store but i think the oculus store is pretty good too? This is entirely opinion based and as such it is very hard to find the hands down best headset without our ego getting in the way, maybe the valve index :) P.S. I think the vive controllers are slightly more versatile because the trackpad can be turned into as many as 6 buttons in a game (that’s the most I’ve seen, there might be a game that have 7 or 8 buttons on the trackpad)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

P.P.S. The oculus quest looks pretty snazzy, it is certainly less that the vive focus (800 USD) with 6dof controllers, it looks like a great deal, it is nice that there is only 1 trigger and the grip trigger, though the grip trigger could be a little more subtle so its harder to press, i could see myself accidentally pulling the grip trigger.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

P.P.P.S. (Last one) I still have the issue with the oculus products not having an IPD adjuster, I have to put my IPD adjuster close together (not the setting oculus has their products on )otherwise everything is blurry.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've only used a vive but i think a thumbstick would be good instead of the track pad, other than that; the squeeze, trigger, and menu buttons are all perfect how they are, the buttons that is, they could still have a more ergonomic design though

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I just want others opinions on this, why would you want a thumb stick?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube