add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB or PCIE WiFi?

waj287

8 months ago

I've been considering adding a wireless network adapter in addition to Ethernet for my PC, but I can't seem to decide if I should go USB or an expansion card.

Is one method better than the other or should it not matter?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The USB option is obviously easier and most likely cheaper, but you might get lower performance. You'll have to look at the specs yourself. This is what I used to use before I purchased a PCIE card with Bluetooth. I switched because I wanted my USB port back. PCIE card usually come with these ugly looking antennas that you need to tether the card to for better signal.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend the PCIE WiFi Card instead of the USB WiFi Adapter for many reasons. One, if you removed the USB you would most likely lose it. Two, its slower than PCIE WiFi. And three, PCIE WiFi would not use up a valuable USB port.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Some people (Like me) have like 10 usb ports, also some usb WiFi adapters are pretty damn quick!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it's a big deal either way. USB 3.0 can easily go as fast as any real wireless. USB 2.0 maxes somewhere around 60 MB/s (megabytes), pretty close to the single stream 802.11ac speed IIRC. Where you might possibly, maybe, see a difference is latency and I'd expect the PCIe card to have a potential edge there. (Or if you have a ton of other USB devices transferring away and competing for the driver chip bandwidth.)

In practical terms I'd say it doesn't matter. The PCIe card likely costs a little more and causes a bit less clutter.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

you say in addition to ethernet... So you want it in case you take it to a buddy's place for a wifi party?

How much you plan to use this wifi adapter would have an impact on suggestions. (or at least for me it would)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

PCIE offers less contention for bandwidth, lower latency, more reliability.

USB offers convenience and lower cost.

Always go PCIE if the option is available and the price isn't an issue. (a good PCIE card is like $35.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube