add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

B-Die going bye bye

Dreadvolt
  • 11 months ago

With B-Die reaching EOL in Q1 2019, and M-Dies/A-Dies on the horizon, can anyone explain how this might affect the memory landscape for us scrubs?

https://www.techpowerup.com/255165/samsung-kills-production-of-famed-b-die-ddr4-memory-in-favor-or-higher-densities

Do B-Die prices skyrocket due to dwindling supply, or drop to clear stock? Does it make more sense to just wait for the 'higher density' module if looking to upgrade memory?

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Do B-Die prices skyrocket due to dwindling supply, or drop to clear stock?

Pricing won't drop as those models already have a premium added on, so pricing will increase further.

Does it make more sense to just wait for the 'higher density' module if looking to upgrade memory?

Depends on what kinds of clock speeds You are looking for.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's my situation, smart or not.

I've been wanting / thinking about upgrading to a DRP4 from a DR4. No big deal right? Except I made the "mistake" of buying 51mm tall memory modules when the DRP4 will only clear 45mm for sure.

So, I've been watching ram prices, and for the DRP4 to maybe go on sale (yeah right...)

I know if you always wait for the newest thing, you end up in a perpetual state of waiting, but as there is no need to do any of this, nor a rush, I'm wondering if this might be a good time to delay and see what's up with the new tech?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not just mount the fan on the rear so it doesn't interfere with the RAM?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

On the DRP4? I'd considered that, or removing it entirely as it only has about a 1-2C temp difference (from what I've seen on the YouTubes). The internal fan on that thing is the real mover and shaker. I believe even if I were to do this though, I'd still have to have the memory modules in the 2nd and 4th slot (as they are now - so not a huge deal, though I was trying to get away from that).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always replace the heatspreaders on the RAM or just remove them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube