add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is The Vega 56 Worth It

adeoluy2k

8 months ago

Watched a ton of reviews but would rather hear from real people in the community

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Performance without bias of other factors (i.e. price) = not very impressive.

Performance considering price = good but GTX 1660 Ti has largely made it redundant, newer card, lower power, in same price zone, and performs similar on a number of gaming titles.

I would pass on a Vega 56 unless it was under $250, even then I would still, in all likelihood, pass. A year ago with GTX 1070 flipping around the $500 mark, I would have a different opinion.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

from what i understand the 1660 seems like a pointless card but in terms of raw power which is better the 56 or 1660

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1060 Ti, the Vega 56 is usually sold with a blower style cooler, which is louder and does not cool the GPU very well, especially because the Vega GPUs use a lot of power and get very hot. The 1060 Ti is a little better in some games and they are about the same on others.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Paying 380 dollars for a vega 56 isn't a good idea.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cKhKHx/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-2gb-pulse-video-card-11276-02-40g

This one offers slighter better cooling and is only 300 dollars.

...and he lives in Canada

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

ill assume you are also canadian before i get my hopes up

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Raw Power, as in floating point operations per sec, Vega 56 comfortably ahead of GTX 1660 Ti. Actual performance on various software programs or games, depends on what it is. Ultimately, what the user sees or interacts with counts. Raw performance/number crunching does favor the AMD card, what the user sees on screen will not indicate that in any significant manner. The GTX 1660 Ti will pretty much get within a few percent of a Vega 56 on a good day. Unless you get a Vega 56 for a steep discount I would steer my interest towards the GTX 1660 Ti or, preferably, the RX 2060 which is a significant step up at stock settings.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on how noise sensitive You are and price.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

found one on sale brand new for less than 400 canadian

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Not worth the Vega's downsides.

1660 can be manually tuned to within single digit performance for $290-$300.

1660ti stock performance is 4-6% behind for $360-$380 and has decent tuning performance headroom to close that gap.

2060 is a little more at $460 and pulls pretty decently ahead on average at stock with tuning headroom left.

None of those three options have the downsides of the Vega's noise output, all run cooler, and all use less power even with tuning.

If You were to find one in the $300-$350 range it would be an option trading performance for downsides but not at $400.

Your rolling a dice to find a card that has the memory so it can be undervolted to fix the power draw and heat output.

If You want more then stock performance Your rolling the dice to get a card that has the memory to be stable with hard modding the card to gain performance.

Even simple hacks like flashing it with a Vega 64 BIOS is rolling the dice because of memory.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

explain undervolting this is the vega i found https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX76885

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

explain undervolting

Reverse Overclocking. Instead of adding voltage/power limit to reach higher clock speeds You reduce those to lower heat output.

And it doesn't matter what model of Vega 56 it is You either deal with hot and loud or lower settings and cap performance to get them to run quieter.

One way is hot and loud, the other it is lower performance at a higher price.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

thanx im just looking at all options now for my first build im hoping at computex this month if navi is announced a release date and pricing is also mentioned and hopefully makes my choice easier

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot has to do with what your doing. I have seen no noticeable difference or heat issues with my Vega 64. Mine is mostly a work station with a little gaming. Call of duty, various VR titles, some old, some new. Not a single issue. I’ve benchmarked it, looked at temps, overclocked, undervolted, and really haven’t seen a single bit of difference.

Yes the temps go up, but not so high performance suffers at all. Overall the noise is not that big of a deal. I game with headphones and having 6 radiator fans and two case fans means mine is naturally loud. I can hear the gpu fan ramp up if the headphones are off, but it’s not off-putting at all. Hell, my reef tank makes more noise.

If your going to game professionally, maybe you need to worry about heat, noise and cutting edge, but for the average hobbyist/user, I don’t see worrying about these issues..

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

strictly gaming/school work and maybe very very very very light editing when fooling around with pics and videos

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube