add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Power Button

LVanswede
  • 11 months ago

Hello, again, PCPP community! I am back again, this time with advice about a power button. I am building my own computer case to cut down on costs, but my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix B450-F) does not have an onboard power button, so I am wondering what suggestions people have for power buttons that I can build into my computer case. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Look in the motherboard pdf Manual 1-20 , the power button is handled by jumper switches that normall connect with the System Panel Connector a collection of jumpers in the lower right corner of the motherboard (based on cpu / keyboard inputs etc being referred to as being in the top left - as a reference point... see whats marked as being the atx power button..

So suffice to say you need some kind of switch that can then connect to these pins..

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay- Thank you. I kind of guessed that, but I was wondering if there was any kind of button that already exists, and how much It would be.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Likely be places that can get the sleeved cables , eg just searched on amazon and found cables listed as "Shakmods 30cm Front Panel White & Black Sleeved Power Reset HDD LED Speaker + - Extension Cable" where seems have the full set of cables and mboard connectors, for which then would just need the switch part...

or try "67" Desktop Computer Case Power Supply Reset HDD Button Switch" if want something like a desk mounted panic button type...

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were to use a power switch like this one, how would I wire it?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use any momentary switch pretty much, it connects only while you are pushing it, they usually return to start position when you let go. The switch should not ground to its mounting, it must have 2 wires and does not matter what way they are connected far as polarity. One is the + positive and other is - ground both to the mobo header just like a case switch. If the switch has a polarity use it, but should not matter. Ideally you can take the wires/harness off your faulty case switch (or any pc case) and plug into the mobo pins with them, if you don't use a PC switch with the pin plugs on it.

If you use the switch you listed it will be more complex, you have 2 pins for the power and more pins for the LED light which would also plug into the mobo in similar way. Use NO normally open, the momentary switch.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube