add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

question.. what to do with recorded gameplay videos...

LiteEmUp
  • 10 months ago

My current rig: i7 6700k 4.0 gigz( lol i know i havent OC'ed it yet.. but at the moment, i only have a 1080p monitor and games i play doesnt push it to its knees.. so no need to OC at this time) 48gb ddr4 ram (i believe its 2400mhz) msi 980ti gpu adobe premiere element 13 mirallis action (for ingame recorder; i also recall saving recorded videos as mp4) audacity (for seperate adding of ingame commentaries)

so currently my 4tb's of storage drives, i have around 400 gigs left.. and i realized its time to prep them for uploading to youtube..

so my questions are: 1) using the adobe premier elements, what settings do i need to do in prep to uploading to youtube??

2) also i want to minimize the size of files from gb's to mb's, without losing quality.. but still keep the recorded videos for future editing.. what settings do i need to do?

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

when you upload to youtube, they store your video. You could delete on your local drive after uploading.

"1080p looks pretty good in H.264 at 3-4Mbits/sec" ??

youtube offers suggestions

Recommended upload encoding settings

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Recommended video bitrates for SDR uploads

1080p 8 Mbps/30 FPS 12 Mbps/60 FPS

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

also i want to minimize the size of files from gb's to mb's, without losing quality.. but still keep the recorded videos for future editing.. what settings do i need to do?

MP4 is already compressed. You cannot apply any lossless compression on top of that to reduce the file size drastically.

As Ewhac already mentioned, YouTube will apply their own encoding, so you don't really need to do anything special.

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

He doesn't need to compress it (just be patient and have a good bandwidth).

Also, he asked for lossless compression. That's not likely there will be a 10% compression ("GBs to MBs") without losing quality.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

so if quality loss is acceptable to lower the file size of a 1hr video from 12gigs to under 1 gig, what settings should i go??

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not experienced with video conversion.

I just record my gameplays and upload them occasionally on YouTube. I am not afraid to upload 12 - 20 GB of video. I have one advantage though: I do not do it at home, but take it to the office where I work and upload it there on an enterprise Internet connection, where upload speed is larger by magnitudes.

Maybe you have the same option too: upload your videos somewhere with high upload speed, so it won't take days, not even hours, just a few minutes.

As for compression, I can't advise anything apart from searching the Web as I do not apply any extra compression on my videos (and I wouldn't anyway, I want to keep them in high resolution/detail).

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i thought of using my college university's internet to upload to youtube..

my primary concern is storage space, which is why im considering any methods to reduce a 12gig size to as much as possible with not alot of quality loss

around 3tb of recorded gameplay and i want it to be cut in half if possible.. i know its going to get filled soon as im still continuing to record gameplays..

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

so i guess you can say im out of luck, except buying a large storage space?!?!

with lets play videos, im starting to realize that 1 TB is no longer enough as it can fill up in no time just for 1 game.. add to it alot of games, and it will fill even faster.. i wonder how much gigs lets play videos of youtubers eat up, just for 1 game??

so i was googling and i found a software called Handbrake.. anyone had experience with this??

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Most people use OBS to record gameplay or stream because of how many features it has and how well the program works, best part of it is that it is free. I have Action! myself because I like the feature to loop the last 12 or so minutes and press a key to save the last 12 minutes of video when something happens ingame that I wanted to record. That is a paid program but it does everything OBS can do and has that one extra feature. Though that kind of recording can be hard on your drive as it is always writing and re-writing data so you will need a good scratch disk.

• 10 months ago
  • -1 points

Get an enormous external drive or NAS to use as your archival/backup drive. Copy all your original footage to it, as well as all your other media assets and editing project files so that, if desired, you can re-construct old videos from original materials.

Depending on the imagery, 1080p looks pretty good in H.264 at 3-4Mbits/sec, but YooToob/Vimeo/Twitch is going to re-encode it, anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. (Do your own experiments at various bitrates and see when you start noticing degraded imagery.)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

what margin would you recommend though??

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube