add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wood Case Build

beardedmisfit

7 months ago

Hey everyone, I'm slowly putting this together and would apprecaite some feedback and possibly some help. Attached here is the link of photos of my friends and our idea of a wooden case computer. I want to ensure there is enough air flow. There are two 120mm fans, 2x 3.5" HDD, and one Corsair SF600 PSU. I've attached the parts list below.

I'm stuck on a couple of things:

• How to install a power button? Where to buy it?
  • Do I need a tray for the 3.5" drives or can I mount them to the wood (1/2" plywood)
  • Will it be vented properly based upon what you see?
  • Will 2x 120mm fans be enough for air flow? Is there enough airflow?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $118.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Motherboard ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $153.35 @ Vuugo
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $68.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $87.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Power Supply Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply Purchased For $80.00
Other mobo tray
Other Right Angle PSU Extender

Any and all feedback is helpful and appreciated! Thanks PCPP

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey there! I am also attempting a similar modded PC, and I found a power button that you could use for my computer, but you could use it, too. It might not fit your color scheme, but, since I have no idea what that might be. Here is the link. Just get rid of the metal PCI-E adapter and cable route the rest through your PC.

Now, about the case. I see that you have not included a graphics card, so two 120mm fans should suffice for any kind of mini-itx build, look at people who have i9-9900Ks and 2080Tis in their Phanteks Evolv Shift Xs. You should be fine. Hope this helps.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip on the button. I did find something to solve that issue. We may have to use 92mm fans. 2x 120mm at the bottom won't fit for what we're buildling, and there is no GPU because Ryzen 3 2200 will be enough to stream movies :)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

you could use this as a power switch https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=B01N4HZRWX&ref=nb_sb_noss

and you could drill some holes in this bracket to support the hdd https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=hdm-229&ref=nb_sb_noss

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have an old pair of those somewhere! I totally forgot about those brackets for the HDD Thanks

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

im not sure bout how to answer most of your questions but power buttons are very easy to buy.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=computer%20power%20button&Submit=ENE newegg has a bunch of them

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

The only suggestion I have is you may need to put an/the rear exhaust fan behind the 2200g, and you can get a tower style cooler pretty cheap and have it blow sideways right at the exhaust fan. That way you dump your largest heat maker right out the back instead of in the case, and it could reduce total temps if you have an issue with airflow and do not want to chop more vents into it. Of course this assumes your case is wide enough to fit a tower cooler as it may not be.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

great idea, but definitely will not fit. only 5.75" of clearance

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

With the clearance you have, that’s not a good option. Read the r/sffpc recommended parts spreadsheet for good coolers.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I’d get this and cut little holes right on the other side of where the fan exhausts, like a little mesh pattern

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

You will have to verify total height carefully, though if the wood is thicker you could router a pocket for a little more room.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

noted

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube