add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget gaming PC - GTX 970?

Mike2181

9 months ago

Came across this local sale for a used graphics card. Here's the details given:

EVGA GTX 970 FTW Edition - $100 VR Ready DirectX 12 Ready GameStream to NVIDIA SHIELD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Core Clock 1216 MHz Boost Clock 1367 MHz 1 x Dual-link DVI-I 1 x Dual-link DVI-D 1 x HDMI 2.0 1 x DisplayPort 1.2 1664 CUDA Cores PCI Express 3.0 x16

Would this GPU work for a budget gaming PC? Been considering a Ryzen 5 CPU, tomahawk mobo, and 16gb ram (3000?) but haven't bought anything yet. Still trying to figure it all out and looking to build it in June. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

The 970 is still a very capable card for 1080p, for $100 its not bad but not something that would make you want to jump on it asap, ebay has sold listings around the same price and you get the paypal protection and its shipped to your door so.... IMO i would wait a little longer till you are closer to building your pc as the prices on 970's seem to be dropping a little overtime (sold mine almost 2 months ago for $110 and ebay was around $120) and a better deal might be posted.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, thanks for the reply. I'll hold off on this one then.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes GTX 970 is still a capable card today for gaming at 1080p. Local Sale? If Craigslist, haggle. You will be dealing with a person real time and bringing cash in hand. Hard cash talks, 4 crispy $20 bills should do the trick ...

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, local and just noticed he has two 970's for sale. What's the difference between FTW and SSC, selling one of each and asking less for the SSC.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

FTW normally means, acronym wise, For the Win. I think the FTW cards are the ones with high overclocks. The SSC, I think it is one of their entry level cards with lower overclock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube