add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rebuilding from an old PC; Do I keep the CPU or not?

14cpalmer
  • 10 months ago

I have been having some issues on an old PC my brother has and have come to the conclusion that most of it just needs scrapped. I'm doing this slightly third party and haven't been able to mess with the PC too much myself, but from what I've gathered there's a power issue, cables have been checked/replaced, and the PSU has also been replaced. Since the issue is still remaining and considering it's an older build, I figure it'd be more cost effective to rebuild a PC from scratch.

To save as much money as possible, he wants to keep the GTX 750 TI and the AMD - FX-6300 CPU, along with the case, Hard Drive, and the new PSU he bought.

Just fishing for suggestions- on whether or not it's worth it to keep this build with the following motherboard; https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C2mxFT/asus-m5a78l-m-plususb3-micro-atx-am3-motherboard-m5a78l-m-plususb3

or if it's more recommended to spend the extra 100 to get a newer motherboard with a new CPU? Like from this build; https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/hXzKHx/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. What exactly is the issue?
  2. Don't buy an AM3+ board at retail
  3. If you want go with a more modern platform you'd also need new RAM.
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

No power. No lights on the motherboard, no POST, etc. Like I said, he changed the PSU out- but I am helping him troubleshoot it over the phone so it's hard to exactly tell if he didn't do something correct or if it straight up just the motherboard not powering the rest of the PC.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think you could get pics of the inside of the PC? It might be something stupid like he forgot to flip the switch on the back of the PSU

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I told him to check that- and he brought it to BestBuy apparently to check the PSU. So, he bought a new one from them, plugged everything back in, and still the same issue.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you know if he could try to jump the motherboard? If that doesn't work I might be out of ideas.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably not an option, I don't even know how to do that sadly.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

But thank you!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

AM3+’s IPC is probably the worst your going to get, so I’d just get a new platform.

You could consider this, as well (performance is not too dissimilar to the Intel option, yet you’ve got a decent upgrade path)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $94.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $75.71 @ Amazon
Memory *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $42.99 @ Newegg
Storage Mushkin - Source 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $52.99 @ Newegg
Video Card *ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case $50.03 @ Walmart
Case Fan Fractal Design - FD-FAN-SSLL-120-WT 41.8 CFM 120mm Fan $6.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $453.59
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 19:22 EDT-0400
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Wups, meant to link the AMD one. Yeah I was looking at both and figured the AMD would be a better option. The GTX 750 TI should work fine and if he wants to upgrade in the future I figure that'd be where he'd start.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That would be pretty good, the 2200g/asrock/mem is around 220 but that would get them into ryzen and you should be able to run a RX580 level gpu before you look at upgrading the 2200. At that point you might still be able to use the 2200 in a browsing PC or other use with its igpu. Buying a mobo for a FX chip is tough unless you can get used cheap, you have no place to go with it.

I have had PC act dead with a bad mem stick or bad gpu, would not start to boot even.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you've done something to damage the CPU like overclocking, or if the system has been hit by a surge... I'd keep the CPU. It was alleged to me some time ago that CPU are manufactured to last at least 20 years "in theory".

Just to test have you tested the system without any RAM in to see if you get a post code, if you get no post code from no RAM then I tend to think the system is dead.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes me want to dig out my 8086 and see if it still works lol.

• 10 months ago
  • -1 points

get a new CPU, that cpu would be good

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube