add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The best anti virus for a new gaming pc, that doesn't conflict with games, programs and updates

KarmAngel

7 months ago

Hi everyone ^_^

Simple as the title says.

Looking for a free anti virus with all these aspects in mind.

I only had experience with Avast and AVG.

Hit me up with your suggestions ;)

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 9 points

Windows Defender is fine. Sure, 3rd party solutions score a fraction of a percent better, but why subject yourself to the annoyances that come with the free and paid versions of AV if you don't need it? The free versions will pester you to pay for them, and the paid versions will pester you to pay for them again.

I never get spam email from windows defender, or popups, or ads, or anything. It updates itself automatically and operates in the background without interrupting my daily work or play.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I never had a good image of Windows Defender but hey... Maybe with the change of times, it changed itself for something really good. I can give it a try

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

I just use defender nowadays, it's built into Windows 10 and is pretty lightweight

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the feeling that back in the days, it was kinda useless. Nowadays i don't know how good it is... Pretty good being lightweight but does it also provide good defence?

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Windows Defender should be enough, every other tool only adds more attack points. Some 3rd party solutions even disable security features and break encryptions to work which is crazy.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

As i'm seing on the answers of my post... Never knew that Windows Defender was already an great anti-virus.

Alrigth, i might leave my build with just Windows Defender on and see for myself. I will trust on your advices.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

The only usefull programs are scanners like MalwareBytes, but none of the normal Anti-Virus programs.

Afterall, the best protecting is brain.exe

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Does Kaspersky or Bitdefender reveall to be useful as well (just curious) ?

But yeah... It all comes down to the best protection you could have and that's the brain.exe

approved.png

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

My windows defender has never made a decision for me. I get alerts from both bitdefender and malwarebytes. nothing from windows defender. I would be scared to only depend on windows defender

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This is getting me divided. Some say Windows Defender is enough and others the opposite.

I'm starting to get a little worried

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are worried about your security, make the right decisions.

Sure, the ( %##$7 ones say I dont have any AV/security software, but does that person ever open 1 email? Does that person click on the internet. Post your question in security forums. Too many immature answers here.

Today, your security is never protected. Hacks of identify on government level, banks, financial institutions, newegg, local banks, grocery stores, pick a credit card, personal taxes, target retail stores, home depot, local police depts.......what business is safe? none Dont forget ransomware. A new type of ransomware just came out days ago, and you are screwed.

They (place of business) all say........."you are protected"...you are "safe"...."nothing to worry about"......And I know that is total BS.

Even if you do the right things to be a safe browser, you wont know until after a security issue hits you.

How the hell did someone file my taxes for me about 3 years ago?? IRS, wont look into it.

So if you turn your pc on and use the internet, make the right decisions about your security. You are NOT 100% safe.

My best defense to a security issue, is a back up hard drive image. New pc owners never consider what a back up of your hard drive means until it is too late. Few years ago, had a lap top hit by "ransomware" and I hardly even use that laptop. I was screwed, but a restore of my prior hard drive image put me back on line is less than 5-7 mins.

So until you actually experience a security intrusion? Dont go soft on your security software. I have way too much to lose if someone took over my personal computer that i use.

You are doing the right thing to see what is available. Consider those choices and make a good decision :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Amen to this. I can relate to this perfectly. In fact, an hard drive image as saved me from huge trouble twice, on my laptop.

So i will not make It easy for the upcoming new build. I will have another anti-virus besides Windows Defender, create and update new images of my Windows, save important files in a HDD and in some external memory devices (USB and external SSD).

Thanks for the "knock" on my head. Nowadays, there's not "Too much safety" as even sometimes that can fail on you.

:)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

My current recommendations are the free versions of Bitdefender (fairly simple and light) or Kaspersky (more fully featured if you are into that sort of thing). Both are very high scoring in independent testing and I've personally used them.

My current backup scanners are KVRT, Malwarebytes, and Comodo Cleaning Essentials, among others if I'm bored or paranoid.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

ahem I love MalwareBytes. That's all I can say. I absolutely love it. Even the free version is great.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Have malwarebytes and roguekiller and adwcleaner installed and just scan with them every week.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

ADWCleaner is now maintained by Malwarebytes; I do use it for some quick scans but there isn't much use in using both.

I'm not familiar with Roguekiller.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i know adw is malwarebytes, but they do detect different things.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it ;) Thanks for the help

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I use BitDefender and select the "gaming Profile". Here you add the game exe into your game profile and have these additional options for each game you add:

Boost performance on games

Optimize product setting for Game Profile

Postpone background programs and maintenance tasks

Postpone Windows Automatic Updates

Adjust power plan settings for games

These options, you place a check mark on the ones to enable when gaming

This is exactly what you are asking :)

This is not free, so you get what you pay for. If you shop around, BitDefender can be as low as $19/year

Newegg has many 50% off software if on the email list So this one year BitDefender would get you to $19

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832719271&Description=bitdefender&cm_re=bitdefender-_-32-719-271-_-Product

No free AV will give you what you are asking for.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Very interesting :O

I will have my eye on this one too :)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I just installed win10 and it says it protects itself and needs no AV. (??) I can get fsecure free and never had an issue with it, other than when you boot it runs the drive hard (a hdd, but it does a lot of reading either way). Used that over a decade and never had virus issue with those PCs.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I will have that in count. If it does the protection itself, I will a test it myself.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i recommend using kaspersky, it is a very good antivirus, and i love it!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion :)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

np!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube