add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT

adeoluy2k
  • 12 months ago

NOOB BUILDER: does anyone know how future proof current gen motherboards for AMD are going to be. Will they support the new 3000 series cards that should be launching in summer

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

X370, B450 and X470 boards will for sure support Ryzen 3000 processors.

And it seems that applies to B350 and A320 boards as well.

But i don't know, if every of the above chip-set boards (B350/A320) does get an BIOS update.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks theres an asus rog board i wanna get that wil fit my build , i wanna get it now and wait for the 3000 release potentially

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, you can do that. :)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you wait until the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs arrives, i guess the price of that board may go down.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

life isnt fair i wanna wait for the new release but then this sale is happening https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_MM00001330

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Other then IF manufacturers choose to support 3000 series on older products as there is a massive stockpile sitting around of both 300 and 400 series boards.

B/A series have no issues other then they may not support AMD boot kits so updating BIOS will be more of an issue then before. So you would be fine with that board.

X series also have a hardware issue with models that support SLI as the redrivers are incompatible with Gen 4.0 and may not work at all if they cannot be flashed to fix the issue, and if they do will no longer support lane splitting so SLI or using graphics lanes for I/O will not longer be possible.

It is an odd turn of events but the lowly A320 (Even some B450 use lane splitting to handle more I/O options) is the most likely to see full compatibility with its OEM/enterprise adoption requiring forward support from manufacturers and there being no hardware compatibility problems.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I cannot officially comment on unreleased products but it is important to keep in mind that UEFI updates contain CPU microcode that is specific to CPU ranges. While updates can introduce support for newer CPUs assuming all physical requirements are present on the board there is a challenge on whether or not the microcode update requires removal of previous microcode. Additionally, sometimes more entry boards with smaller UEFI rom sizes cannot support as much updating. All things considered, I would generally wait until a formal announcement is completed to ensure the board you are considering is going to have the corresponding update.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube