add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

need to upgrade my graphics card

phatso86

10 months ago

I currently have: - intel core i7-4770 - GeForece GT640

i bought this computer maybe 5 years ago and i think it was considered a gaming computer (don't use it for gaming) I have considered upgrading the graphics card for a while hoping it would help with the load times for autocad and revit (drafting & modeling).

I do not know how i can figure out what is compatible, but i am assumming knowing the current graphics card it would be easy to determine an apt upgrade? I found this item: GeForce GTX 1050 https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI/dp/B01MA62JSZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=gtx+980&qid=1553212734&s=gateway&sr=8-1

i want to know if this is easily swapped and if this indeed will help with the hang ups on my drafting. Also, wanted to confirm if I need to reinstall programs now that i would be messing with the components.

thank you in advance

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using an SSD to boot the program from?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

yes not really the load times that is the issue, it that the program hangs when it has more and more elements. I do simple projects (single family) so i think it is the graphics issue

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know if that problem is particular relayed to the GPU.

I would search on Autocad forums for a solution.

https://www.google.gr/search?q=autocad+hangs+on+drawing%3F&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7joj0tJbhAhWLxYUKHZhDADMQ7xYIKCgA&biw=1920&bih=937

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

can anyone help in figuring out if i can swap this graphics card for the current one?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Your current motherboard will be using PCI Express for the graphics card, therefore any modern card will work in the same slot.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-640-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m7731vs3649

If it is the graphics card causing your issue then this is a sizable upgrade, whether or not it is I can not say.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be able to swap the graphics cards without any problems, but you will need to make sure the power supply will be enough to power it and that it will fit in your case.
Also Don't go with the 1050ti, at that price it's not a very good buy, for around the same price i would get a rx580 8gb or 1060 6gb.
Try to do some research on what would be more important cpu or gpu wise as you know exactly what you will be doing with your computer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube